[sustran] Re: sorry, and a question

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Fri Sep 16 22:58:26 JST 2005

If you haven't looked at it previously, I suggest that you read the
"TDM in Developing Countries" (http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm75.htm )
chapter of our Online TDM Encyclopedia (http://www.vtpi.org/tdm ),
which contains a variety of resources on this subject. Other good
resources include:

"Sustainable Transportation: A Sourcebook for Policy-Makers in
Developing Countries," (http://www.sutp.org/download/sourcebookhome.php ).

The Rural Transport Knowledge Base
(<http://www.transport-links.org/rtkb/English/Intro.htm>www.transport-links.org/rtkb/English\Intro.htm).

Parking pricing and public transportation subsidies are a good start.
Others include road space reallocation to favor walking, cycling,
vans and buses, urban traffic calming, and improved traffic law enforcement.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

At 02:18 AM 9/16/2005, Lew Fulton wrote:
>Whoops - sorry about that last email folks!
>
>I'll take the opportunity to make a real post - a request for info. A
>particular employer just outside Nairobi, I won't say who, is in dire need
>of some traffic control measures around their large suburban compound.
>Given the suburban, fairly car-dependent location, they are not surprsingly
>experiencing a choking surge in single-occupant vehicles (SOVs) (not to
>mention SUVs) comming to work each day. There is increasingly bad traffic
>in the area and the expansive parking lot is getting pretty full.  I would
>like to help them out with developing a plan to alleviate the problems, and
>so I am looking for ideas.
>
>I have seen many studies and policy papers on this type of situation in the
>places like the US, but not for a developing country context. Maybe the
>solution isn't very different - the primary difference, I think, is that
>here only about half the employees own a car - the other half already come
>to work by bus.
>
>The basic ideas I'm starting with are:
>
>-start charging for parking
>- use the funds to pay for:
>       - minivan commuter service for nearby neighborhoods
>       - bike lane construction where possible in vicinity. Would be a first
>for Nairobi.
>       - car ride matching service on their intranet
>
>Thanks for any other suggestions, or any relevant analyses and experiences
>you can point me toward...
>
>Lew

>SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred,
>equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing
>countries (the 'Global South'). Because of the history of the list,
>the main focus is on urban transport policy in Asia.

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
litman at vtpi.org
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"