[sustran] sorry, and a question

Lew Fulton Lew.Fulton at unep.org
Fri Sep 16 18:18:09 JST 2005

Whoops - sorry about that last email folks!

I'll take the opportunity to make a real post - a request for info. A
particular employer just outside Nairobi, I won't say who, is in dire need
of some traffic control measures around their large suburban compound.
Given the suburban, fairly car-dependent location, they are not surprsingly
experiencing a choking surge in single-occupant vehicles (SOVs) (not to
mention SUVs) comming to work each day. There is increasingly bad traffic
in the area and the expansive parking lot is getting pretty full.  I would
like to help them out with developing a plan to alleviate the problems, and
so I am looking for ideas.

I have seen many studies and policy papers on this type of situation in the
places like the US, but not for a developing country context. Maybe the
solution isn't very different - the primary difference, I think, is that
here only about half the employees own a car - the other half already come
to work by bus.

The basic ideas I'm starting with are:

-start charging for parking
- use the funds to pay for:
      - minivan commuter service for nearby neighborhoods
      - bike lane construction where possible in vicinity. Would be a first
for Nairobi.
      - car ride matching service on their intranet

Thanks for any other suggestions, or any relevant analyses and experiences
you can point me toward...

Lew