[sustran] Re: Paying for PDF files of work done by funded agencies on the topic of sustainable development in all its variants.

Lew Fulton Lew.Fulton at unep.org
Mon Sep 12 15:20:13 JST 2005

I agree that the reports should be free. They do become free (the pdf at
least) 1 year after publication. Lee and I have been fighting that policy
for years but the member governments have insisted on keeping the prices
high, for reasons that were never completely clear to me.  You are welcome
to send a note to the IEA director, Claude Mandil, with your complaint.
Never hurts for him to hear that the outside world notices and considers
the pricing policy inappropriate.

And just for the record, I no longer work at the IEA...

Lew

                      Thomas C
                      <thomas.cr at gmail.        To:       Eric Britton <eric.britton at ecoplan.org>
                      com>                     cc:       Asia and the Pacific sustainable transport
                                                <sustran-discuss at list.jca.apc.org>, NewMobilityCafe at yahoogroups.com, czegras at mit.edu,
                      08/09/2005 18:45          Lew.Fulton at unep.org
                                               Subject:  Re: Paying for PDF files of work done by funded agencies on the topic of
                                                sustainable development in all its variants.

I agree...

Two possible explanations:
- citizens should not get involved in certain topics ("too
complicated", "would misunderstand", "none of their business")
- tax transfers between governments can be a big deal (ex. local
municipalities to national agencies (ex. CERTU), etc)

In the case of this report, the first explanation seems likely...

There have been some governmental reports on this topic but i'm not an
expert (off the top of my head, in France, circulaire balladur in 1994
and rapport mandelkern in 1999).

It's true of reports but it's a problem with many other types of
"public" data. Concerning transit agencies for example, many operators
(at least in france) believe that data regarding their bus network
(schedules, stops...) are sensitive commercial data that should not be
publicly available (elsewhere than on bus stops ;) ). It's one of the
main reasons why there's still no intermodal itinerary services.

looking forward to a society where information will be free...

in the mean time (might take a while), you can still read the draft:
http://www.stcwa.org.au/journal/210405/files/background_IEA.pdf

              thomas