[sustran] Fuel Costs: Welcome Perspective of Chilean Minister of Finance

P. Christopher Zegras czegras at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 7 21:59:10 JST 2005

The Chilean Ministry of Finance, Nicolás Eyzaguirre, was recently quoted
(thanks to Lake Sagaris for highlighting this):

"If gasoline is more expensive, people need to modify their conduct and
consume less gasoline, for example organizing themselves and in place of
going by automobile take a taxi as a group, use more public transport. We
cannot be promoting the consumption of a good that we do not produce and
that is each day more expensive.

In no case will a generalized subsidy for gasoline be passed and, as such,
a clear message to auto users is if fuel costs continue increasing they
will have to in some way change their conduct, use less the auto, prefer
public transport or bicycles."

[my translation, see:
http://www.lanacion.cl/prontus_noticias/site/artic/20050830/pags/20050830161148.html]

Any similar sentiments expressed from other frank public officials from
around the world?