[sustran] Re: transit bus efficiency

Walter Hook whook at itdp.org
Fri Oct 21 22:33:47 JST 2005

Lee,

I can't let the comment about cutting transit workers wages stand.

Having not worked on the US for many years, at this Urban Age
conference, I was struck by the fact that New York City felt it could do
absolutely nothing about improving transit without spending $10 billion.
Each item on their 'to do' list cost at least $10 billion.  Rail link to
the airport,$10 billion.  Linking the Grand Central and Penn Stations
$10 billion.  2nd Avenue Subway, $10 billion just to think about it.
The Mayor is ready to give away $600 million of MTA money for a useless
Jets stadium, and you are ready to go after transit workers wages?  Come
on.  The fundamental problem is the US has been rich enough to buy its
way out of its own political cowardice.  Getting anything positive done
at all politically in our field is a major challenge.

Congestion Charging?  Are you crazy?  Brooklyn and Queens would never go
for it, (even though folks living in these neighborhoods are inhaling
toxic fumes every morning from backed up traffic), Remove 50 parking
spaces to widen sidewalks in Times Square with ped volumes at over 6000
per hour?  Impossible.  Remove a couple hundred parking spaces to off
site locations to create a physically separated bike lane down Broadway,
unthinkable!  Pedestrianize a short stretch of broadway that has no
traffic function?  Madness.  Bus Rapid Transit?  Does it cost $10
billion?  Then maybe we can think about it.

Local advocates' key allies in these efforts?  The business improvement
districts (want better ped spaces), the Big Business Community (wants
congestion pricing) and the Unions, yes the unions (know well that
congestion charging, public space and BRT make great sense for them).
The arch enemy? A mayor too distracted by pie in the sky Olympic bid and
City Department of Transportation Engineers and their army of
subcontractors.  If you want to cut wages, why not abolish the city
department of Transportation.  It is completely useless as far as I can
see.

I've worked for the Amalgamated Transit Workers Union.  Not all the
unions are forward thinking, but some of them are great.  ATU played a
critical role in winning express bus lanes on the Verazzano Bridge and
Staten Island Expressway and getting luxury express buses for Staten
Island to Manhattan, both of which attracted lots of passengers back to
buses and got the project leader a promotion inside the ATU.  The ATU
and the TWU have been strong proponents of BRT here in New York, and
have quoted a lot of our materials.  They helped a lot on winning free
transfers.  WE have regulated minibuses in New York in the outer
boroughs.  When the minibuses were regulated, the Unions became more
tolerant of them.  (free transfers and regulation together brought their
numbers down significantly, and now they provide service in low
frequency areas and shave the peak, so relations with the unions are
better now).

The US groups engaged in the daily political struggle for sustainable
transport policies frequently make common cause with the Transit Unions
and sometimes the machinists unions as well to suggest some win-win
solutions that will improve the situation for working people and also
improve environmental conditions.  Sometimes the unions cause problems,
but certainly in a political effort for US transport reform I would not
start by picking on low wage workers.