[sustran] Re: Bamako Transport meeting and rural transport

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Sat Nov 12 02:21:47 JST 2005

I have been working in the domain of rural transport and demand-responsive transport for the last 10 years, in a mix of collaborative EU research and demonstration projects, and in local projects in Ireland. Over that period of time we have built up a certain store of knowledge about the users, challenges, needs, solutions, organisational structures, technologies etc. This covers rural, periurban and urban environments, and takes into account also users with special needs.

I don't presume that either the challenges or the solutions in European rural areas are directly transferable to African or Asian environments. I don't presume either that they have nothing in common. After all, we are usually dealing with target people who do not have access to a personal car, have limited or no passenger transport services available, and face many economic, social and personal factors which impact on their quality of life.

Either through this forum or off-line, I would be interested to exchange some knowledge on users, the challenges they face, their needs, and barriers to implementation of solutions which have visible potential. This would allow us to see the extent of convergence or divergence among the rural communities in Europe, Africa and Asia. When that is established, we could see whether there are environments where existing solutions and experience are transferable.

For information, one of the European projects called CONNECT has a Knowledge Library dealing with Flexible Transport, with either access to or reviews of about 250 reference works. You will find it at www.flexibletransport.com   If anyone wants to add documents or reviews to the Library, please let me know.

With best wishes,

Brendan Finn.