[sustran] FW: The Cities Enjoy Bicycles Awards

Ibike/International Bicycle Fund ibike at ibike.org
Thu Nov 10 16:40:57 JST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: bicycles [mailto:bicycles at icleijapan.org]
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 12:00 AM
Subject: The Cities Enjoy Bicycles Awards

 I contact you to see whether you would be willing to circulate the below
and attached information on the Cities Enjoy Bicycles Awards for
bicycle-friendly city to all your relevant contacts.

 The Cities Enjoy Bicycles Awards are now calling for entries for 2006 (
deadline December 1, 2005) and we are keen to attract applications from
outstanding local bicycle-friendly projects in Europe and Africa.

I am aware that your organization has promoted sustainable and
people-friendly environments through bicycles use. I would be most grateful
if you could assist us and send out the information on the awards to all
those you think may be interested in applying or indeed knowing more about
the Cities Enjoy Bicycles Awards.

The Cities Enjoy Bicycles Awards have been created for municipal decision
makers to work towards non-motorized mobility and a bicycle-friendly
atmosphere in their communities. In a global partnership for sustainable
urban transport, Shimano, the world's leading bicycle component producer,
and ICLEI, the world's leading association of cities, towns and regions for
sustainable development, have combined forces to promote non-motorized
mobility in cities.

Below and the attached text are letter with information on the awards and
call for entries.

 I thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter and look forward
to hearing from you should you have any queries.

Best regards,

Yo Ueno

Cities Enjoy Bicycles Awards Secretariat/ICLEI Japan
Cosmos Aoyama B2F, 5-53-67 Jingumae,
Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0001, Japan
Tel: +81-3/5464-1906
Fax: +81-3/3797-1906
Email:  <mailto:bicycles at icleijapan.org> bicycles at icleijapan.org

*ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability is an international association
of local government and national and regional local government organizations
that have made a commitment to sustainable development. More than 470
cities, towns, counties, and their associations worldwide comprise ICLEI's
growing membership. ICLEI works with these and hundreds of other local
governments through international performance-based, results-oriented
campaigns and programs.

website: http://www.iclei.org

The Cities Enjoy Bicycles Awards are now looking for entries from
inspirational and innovative local bicycle-friendly projects in Europe and
Africa.

We are inviting your community's applications from bicycle-friendly
projects. Please consider taking this great opportunity to showcase your
community's outstanding sustainability initiatives worldwide.

The Cities Enjoy Bicycles Awards have been created for municipal decision
makers to work towards non-motorized mobility and a bicycle-friendly
atmosphere in their communities. In a global partnership for sustainable
urban transport, Shimano, the world's leading bicycle component producer,
and ICLEI, the world's leading association of cities, towns and regions for
sustainable development, have combined forces to promote non-motorized
mobility in cities.

The awards will be presented to the winners at the 2006 ICLEI World Congress
in Cape Town, South Africa, 27 February to 3 March, 2006.

Award winners will receive an invitation, including funding of basic
travel costs for one representative to attend the Local Initiatives Awards
Ceremony at the ICLEI World Congress 2006 (www.iclei.org/worldcongress2006)

A special case study featuring your initiative which will also be
highlighted on ICLEI's Global Website.

The closing date for entries is 1 December, 2005.

For more information, there is a brochure in English and French on the
website. The application forms are also available on our Local Initiatives
Awards website.

Website address: http://www.iclei.org/liawards

We look forward to reading about your local initiatives!

Email: bicycles at icleijapan.org