[sustran] Bamako Transport meeting

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Thu Nov 10 00:42:05 JST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Edmonds [mailto:Edmondsg at ilo.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 6:15 PM
To: Gender and Transport
Cc: Chris Donnges
Subject: [gatnet] Re: Bamako Transport meeting

Dear Paul,

Like you I have been a silent participant.

What you have been doing on rural tranpsort services would be very
interesting for us especially in relation to the part of our programme
dealing with local level planning and the application of the Integrated
Rural Acessibility Planning tool.

Whilst rural transport services are not necessarily a major problem in
the Asian region there is still a prevailing attitude that if a rural
access is provided the transport services will automatically follow and
this is clearly not the case. As part of our work in Nepal with a World
Bank rural access and infrastructure project we will be conducting a
study of rural transport services. There is also some work recently
completed work in Vietnam by the ADB on the same subject.

If it is available, we would appreciate seeing a copy of your study
report.

Best regards,

Geoff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Geoff Edmonds
Programme Coordinator
ILO/ASIST-Asia Pacific
P.O. Box 2-349
Bangkok 10200
Thailand
Tel: (66 2) 288 2303
Fax: (66 2) 288 1062
email: edmondsg at ilo.org

>>> paulstarkey at animaltraction.com 08/11/2005 21:24:56 >>>
Dear Mamoeketsi, Mary and GATNET colleagues

I have been following GATNET discussions since they
first started, although I am generally a silent participant.

People have been talking about the forthcoming SSATP
meeting in Bamako. At this, I will be presenting, with members
of a small team contracted to ITC, the results of an
SSATP-commissioned study to develop and test a methodology
for rapidly assessing rural transport services in an a rural area
(region or province). In the participative methodology we have
developed, we have tried to ensure that gender and transport issues
are assessed in relation to existing and potential motorised and
non-motorised transport services. The methodology includes gathering
the views of a wide range of transport users (women and men),
operators and regulatory authorities. The methodology has been
based on the observed a hierarchies of hub-and-spoke transport
systems (village, market town and regional hubs) with survey sampling
related to the remoteness of towns and villages. In all user categories,
at least two out of five informants should be women (with women
transport operators interviewed where this is appropriate).

Testing the methodology in selected regions of Burkina Faso,
Cameroon, Tanzania and Zambia has yielded some fascinating
new insights relating to existing rural transport services, and has
highlighted some important gender-related transport issues.

I hope that GATNET members who are participating in the Bamako
meeting will be free to come to the presentation on Rural Transport
Services (on Tuesday 15 Nov, I believe) and contribute to the
discussions.

I look forward to seeing people there.
With good wishes to all
Paul

  Paul Starkey
  Team Leader, Rural Transport Services Study
  Mail: Oxgate, 64 Northcourt Avenue, Reading RG2 7HQ, UK
  Tel:  0118-987 2152          Fax: + 44 (0)118-931 4525
  Email: p.h.starkey at reading.ac.uk or paulstarkey at animaltraction.com
  Website: http://www.animaltraction.com