[sustran] Re: Walk Speed functions

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Tue Mar 29 02:10:26 JST 2005

See:

"Field Studies of Pedestrian Walking Speed and Start-Up Time"
(http://www.usroads.com/journals/p/rej/9710/re971001.htm)

Goh, P K,  Lam, William H K, "Pedestrian Flows and Walking Speed: A Problem
at Signalized Crosswalks" ITE Journal,  Jan 2004
(http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3734/is_200401/ai_n9381619).

"Evaluating Nonmotorized Transportation," Online TDM Encyclopedia
(http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm63.htm).

Please let me know if you turn up anything else.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

At 10:00 AM 3/28/2005 -0500, P. Christopher Zegras wrote:
>Dear Sustraners,
>
>Does anyone know of a good reference for walk speed functions; ideally, I
>am looking to estimate, if empirically-defensible, walk speed as a function
>of age and other characteristics of the individual.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris

>SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred,
>equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries
>(the 'Global South'). Because of the history of the list, the main focus
>is on urban transport policy in Asia.

Sincerely,
Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute