[sustran] Sustainable Transportation Indicators

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Sat Mar 26 04:42:14 JST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

As some of you know, earlier this year I became chair of the TRB
Sustainable Transportation Indicators Subcommittee [ADD40T(1)], which is
working to develop guidance on the use of sustainability indicators for
transport planning. Please let me know if you would like to included on a
special email list to be kept informed about this committee's work, and
feel free to pass these messages on to anybody who has a special interest
in sustainable transportation indicators. Also, please let me know of any
related projects that you know of.

At our January 11 meeting we discussed the Subcommittee's overall vision
and goals. Here are key results:

1. Become a clearinghouse for sustainable transportation indicators
information, and track efforts throughout the world to develop and apply
indicators.

2. Explore the general issues and principles that affect the selection of
indicators, and develop guidance for transportation professionals on the
selection and application of indices.

3. Work to establish some sort of officially-endorsed sustainable
transportation indicators best practices guidelines and evaluation framework.

I am just completing a new report, "Well Measured: Developing Indicators
for Comprehensive and Sustainable Transport Planning"
(http://www.vtpi.org/wellmeas.pdf). I would greatly appreciate feedback on it.

I should also mention an excellent new article on this subject: Christy
Mihyeon Jeon and Adjo Amekudzi (2005), "Addressing Sustainability in
Transportation Systems: Definitions, Indicators, and Metrics," Journal Of
Infrastructure Systems, Vol. 11, No. 1, American Society of Civil Engineers
(www.pubs.asce.org), March 2005, pp. 31-51; available at
www.ce.gatech.edu/research/infrasustainability/Relevant%20Publications.htm

Sincerely,
Todd Litman, Director