[sustran] Re: Transport of Delight! New Book!

Carlos F. Pardo cpardo at cable.net.co
Thu Mar 17 19:53:53 JST 2005

Just a remark on your comment about the Bangkok BRT: As our project is =
based
in Bangkok, we have been closely following its progress. Up to now, I =
think
we can't say that there is a priority of the middle class over the urban
poor, since we don't even know where the BRT will go! The first two =
lines
compose a "pilot" project and should be ready by October (how they'll
manage, nobody knows). Anyway, I think we can't say anything about it, =
since
few people have a fair understanding of how it's all going to work. They
haven't arrived at a fare structure and they do not know much about the =
rest
of the components of the system. In summary, the only thing that the =
Bangkok
Metropolitan Administration has very clear is that they want to have a =
BRT
by October this year, and they have everybody following this deadline.
However, talking with the Governor last week has been fruitful in the =
sense
that he has agreed to develop a "full BRT system" for the remaining =
lines
until 2007 or so. Let's see what happens and what conclusions we can =
derive
from this experience.=20

Getting back to the point, I think this is too much Foucault today for =
me (
maybe tomorrow I can have some more). I agree with Dr Richmond's idea =
that
we should try and solve problems concerning the decision (political or
personal) to choose one or the other transport system, but there has to =
be
an explanation from all sides (engineering, economics, psychology, urban
planning, etc).

Best regards,

Carlos F. Pardo
Project Coordinator
GTZ Sustainable Urban Transport Project (SUTP)
Room 0942, Transport Division, UN-ESCAP
ESCAP UN Building
Rajadamnern Nok Rd.
Bangkok 10200, Thailand