[sustran] Transport of Delight! Hard turn in another direction

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Thu Mar 17 18:17:54 JST 2005

Plet2 The Kyoto World Cities Challenge: 2005-2007

*

Latest program background at  <http://kyotocities.org/>
http://kyotocities.org

International Advisory <http://ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/panel.htm>
Panel: http://ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/panel.htm

Kyoto Resources <http://ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/resources.htm>
Inventory:  http://ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/resources.htm

  Thursday, March 17, 2005, Paris, France, Europe

Paul, Sujit, Todd, Jonathan, Carlos, etc. etc.  I always enjoy an good hair
pulling contest (as long as it's not my hear of course), but let's see if we
can find a topic on which we all creatively agree - and that could make a
difference (and save our hair).

Here's a ten point program for creative consensus:

1.      City transport is pretty much of a mess just about everywhere.

a.      There are two kinds of messes in fact: the ones you can clearly see
and those which are hidden but hey! nonetheless really there.

2.      And we could do better.

3.      And we should do better.

4.      We on this forum, the hundred of us who have joined for no reason
other than this . . . we do care.

5.      So let's get together and show that it can be done.

6.      What about putting our brains together and trying to figure out what
we could possibly help to make happen in our own cities within a very short
period of time, short enough so that people and politicians (who are also
often people) can see that there is indeed good reason to put our
imaginations and energies together to do better.

7.      One concrete near term proposal that some of you have already
climbed aboard to support (and thank you once again for that) is the Kyoto
World Cities Challenge.

8.      The Challenge suggests that if a city were to invest the equivalent
of a single meter of urban freeway into thinking about what can be done in a
radical plan to reduce CO2 and traffic (20% we suggest) in a short period
(20 months we suggest), and do this with the help of the top people in their
own community and perhaps taking advantage of leading edge experience in
other places around the world, they could rally make a difference.

9.      If you turn to http://ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/panel.htm you will
see a list of closing in on a first hundred leading international experts
and practitioners who say that this is worth a try.

What about your ideas on and support for this?

*         First step, http://kyotocities.org <http://kyotocities.org/> .

*         Second steps your views to this form or directly to our team here
via Kyoto at ecoplan.org.

*         Third step: Let's start to organize a 20/20 project in your city.

Eric Britton

P.S. By the way, talking about the potential for creative disagreement (we
call it cognitive dissonance). If you look at the variety of backgrounds and
orientations of the people on our panel, you will see there are plenty of
people on it who may have some creative differences in views with whatever
any one else comes up with.  But it's a positive process.  Hence fun.  Hence
worth doing.

T2 The Kyoto World Cities Challenge: 2005-2007

*

Latest program background at  <http://kyotocities.org/>
http://kyotocities.org

International Advisory <http://ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/panel.htm>
Panel: http://ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/panel.htm

Kyoto Resources <http://ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/resources.htm>
Inventory:  http://ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/resources.htm

--------------------------------

Kyoto World Cities Challenge - Abstract

Despite the fact that the transport sector is responsible for at least half,
often more, of all CO2 production in most cities, there is no provision
under the Kyoto Protocols to provide guidelines, mechanisms or incentives to
attack these problems.  Transport in cities was the "Empty Chair in Kyoto
<http://ecoplan.org/wtpp/challenge/empty-chair.pdf> ".

The Kyoto World Cities Challenge Initiative has been created to provide an
open platform of expert guidance and international peer support for groups
and cities anywhere in the world wishing to attack these problems, and in
the process move toward being "Kyoto Compliant".  That said, for each city
taking these steps it is clear that the main incentive and benefits will
accrue directly to the city and its inhabitants as a result of a better
performing transportation system, itself an indispensable key for Kyoto
Compliance.

The main pillars of this independent peer initiative include:

1.       An aggressive Outline
<http://www.ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/20-20.htm>  Program Proposal and
Strategy for practical, high impact, short term, explicitly targeted
remedial action at the level of the city starting in 2005, supported by . .
.

2.       A distinguished International
<http://www.ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/panel.htm>  Advisory Panel: a high
level group of recognized experts and leaders in the wide range of fields
that need to be brought in to the solution process, and

3.       Direct continuing contact and exchanges with a World Wide
<http://www.ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/resources.htm>  Inventory of
Programs and Sources active in related areas with coverage and competences
that are needed to meet the challenges.

4.       A state-of-the-art multi-level Information and IP
<http://www.ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/bridge.htm>  Communications Platform
bringing together low cost high quality internet tools that can be used to
knit the network and the interested cities together.

For further information and background: http://kyotocities.org
<http://kyotocities.org/>