[sustran] Re: Transport of Delight! New Book!

Carlos F. Pardo cpardo at cable.net.co
Thu Mar 17 17:36:49 JST 2005

Dear all,

I think this illustrates a very well known problem in epistemology.
Different ideas of how the world works (or should work) develop into =
strong
arguments that may forget some issues of special relevance. As a
psychologist, I have to agree that there are other points of view of =
life
such as postmodernism that may give us some insights about language as a
builder of reality (by this, I think we all understand that a rock is a
physical object and that when we say that language constructs reality in
language itself). Also, there are other positivist views (in the sense =
of
Hume) that give more importance to verifiable objects than to cognitive
events.

As Mr Richmond has pointed out, I think his main interest is the first =
topic
I have described, and Mr Litman's view is more on the second side of the
story. In order to view transport as a whole, maybe the two perspectives
should be taken into account while going through the exercise of reading =
the
book. From the short (and a bit commercial) summary that appears in =
Amazon,
I think this is fundamentally a qualitative study (3,000 interviews, =
etc),
and it focuses on this kind of data (I presume, discourse analysis and =
all
that stuff). Obviously, results can be different from a purely =
quantitative
point of view and maybe they should be that way. Language doesn't
necessarily respond to physical or statistical reality, and vice versa.=20

I find this discussion quite interesting... but I hope we can arrive at
conclusions instead of hopeless criticisms. Does anyone else have an =
opinion
on this?

*views expressed not necessarily those of any employer.

Best regards,

Carlos F. Pardo
Project Coordinator
GTZ Sustainable Urban Transport Project (SUTP)
Room 0942, Transport Division, UN-ESCAP
ESCAP UN Building
Rajadamnern Nok Rd.
Bangkok 10200, Thailand