[sustran] Re: Transportation Modal Choice in Asian Cities

Walter Hook whook at itdp.org
Sat Jun 25 01:06:46 JST 2005

A point of clarification on the Transport Modal Choice in Asian Cities that was just sent around.

Karl just pointed out to me that this table of modal split data was attributed to the Institute for Transport Policy and Development.

Some people might be confused by this.  Our name is the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy, though I believe this attribution refers to us.   We are also not comfortable with this table being attributed to ITDP.

As a favor to CAI Asia, ITDP's intern John Lindsey prepared this table from some data from various sources, in support of CAI Asia's efforts to provide background for a proposal it was preparing for various work to European sources.  While it is a reasonable compliation of what data is available out there, we never intended for this data to be used as an authoritative document, it was never reviewed by any ITDP staff, and we had no idea it was going to be released more broadly.  ITDP is not currently working on a more authoritative assessment of modal split trends in the region, and as such would like our name removed from the attribution.

Collating more accurate modal split data is not a priority for ITDP, and if one is done I agree with Setty Pendakur that a research based institution like TRB, or the CAI Asia itself with techncial review by some experts, would be a more appropriate venue. CAI itself might systematically request this data from its members using a consistent methodology, and then use one or two experts to assess the validity of the results.

regards,
Walter Hook, Ph.D.
Executive Director
Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP)
127 West 26th Street, Suite 1003
New York, NY 10001
Ph:  (212) 629-8001
Fax: (212) 629-8033

Promoting environmentally sustainable and equitable transportation worldwide

Visit http://www.itdp.org