[sustran] Re: Transportation Modal Choice in Asian Cities

chuizenga at adb.org chuizenga at adb.org
Fri Jun 24 18:47:17 JST 2005

Eric,

Let me explain a bit more about the background of our request.  Over the
last few months I have attended a number of workshops and conferences
where people were presenting data on modal  splits in Asia. This were
pretty much old data going back to the 1990's and in some case the '80
ties. At the same time I have been in discussions where people comment on
how the NMT share has reduced in various cities in Asia or other comments
are made on what is happening to public transport.

As mentioned in the email requesting for information we believe that it
would be good to have more up to date information on modal splits in Asian
cities BOTH as an input in the regional discussion on policies as well as
the discussion on transport planning in individual cities.  Having said
that, we are of course aware that there inconsistencies in data included
in the table that we sent out, this due to differences in categorization
and definitions. We have not tried to draw any conclusions from these data
-- rather we wanted to know whether there is additional information out
there on modal split which can clarify the issue further, either on a
regional level or for specific cities. With respect to Lloyd's suggesting
to go for ranking -- you would still need to have data on which to base
your ranking. Personally I feel that a ranking attempt would really call
for a lot of scrutiny of data and raise questions on comparability and
definitions.

We will keep you posted of the feed-back we receive through other sources.

Cornie Huizenga
Head of Secretariat
Clean Air Initiative for Asian Cities (CAI-Asia)
Asian Development Bank
Tel (632) 632-5047
Fax (632) 636 2198
Email chuizenga at adb.org
http://www.cleanairnet.org/caiasia

www.adb.org

"Eric Britton" <eric.britton at ecoplan.org>
24/06/2005 05:18 PM
Please respond to
<eric.britton at ecoplan.org>

"'Asia and the Pacific sustainable transport'"
<sustran-discuss at list.jca.apc.org>
cc
<lfwright at usa.net>, <chuizenga at adb.org>, <Kyoto2020 at yahoogroups.com>,
"Peter Newman" <newman at central.murdoch.edu.au>, "Jeff Kenworthy"
<kenworth at central.murdoch.edu.au>
Subject
Transportation Modal Choice in Asian Cities

Dear Cornie, Lloyd and Sustran and Kyoto friends,

This is a very creative exchange.  I would like to share four sets of
thoughts with you on this, quickly.

1.      I find the table as it now exists fascinating and most useful as
food for reflection.

2.      That said and as Lloyd points out, the actual figures make me most
uneasy. There is so much variation, but even more when we bear in mind the
realities of both the situation of each city and the enormous room for
vagaries and alternative interpretations, I hardly see them as anything
more than food for thought.  (But let me copy this to Peter Newman and
Jeff Kenworthy who have far more experience that I do in collecting data
of this sort in cities around the world in the hope that their comments
will carry more authority than mine.)

3.      Moreover, as Lloyd suggests (I hope I read him correctly in this)
there are a number of pretty good reasons for not putting a lot of
resources into trying to do better.  While I can certainly support the
thinking behind such a proposal in principle, I also know from experience
that not only is it a huge amount of work, and that whatever you get is
quickly overtaken by events in this world of ours that simply refuses to
stand still for us.  And finally there is that real risk of GI-GO (garbage
in, garbage out).

4.      Finally, the last part of Lloyd?s note which has to do with
rewarding good performance and drawing attention to it so that other
cities can note and -- as they always (eventually at least ) will .. thank
god ? emulate, each it its own way.  (And what is going on with BRT world
wide is a great example of that). So something like that ranking idea or
some such is worth more thought. And that must come from someone who is
internationally recognized and who can gin up the publicity needed to draw
attention to it.  Maybe some combination of all of us?

I hope that we together give this more thought.

Eric Britton