[sustran] Transportation Modal Choice in Asian Cities

aables at adb.org aables at adb.org
Thu Jun 23 17:04:54 JST 2005

Sent in behalf of Cornie Huizenga
CAI-Asia

Dear all,

The urban transport sector remains a major contributor to air pollution in
Asian cities. Decision makers and development agencies are starting to
realize that more active policies are required to address the problems of
air pollution, road safety and congestion associated with rapid
motorization.

An emerging movement in developed and developing countries is the
promotion and improvement of public transportation and non-motorized
transport in urban areas. In Asia, there are a number of cities with
projects on improving public transportation (Bus Rapid Transit
development), non-motorized transportation and pedestrian access.
Experience from these cities in developed and developing countries have
shown that substantial benefits on urban air quality and traffic
congestion can be achieved, not to mention the relatively 'cheaper' cost
required in implementing the project.

However, in order to plan effective sustainable urban transport programs
and policies it is important to have a good picture of the manner in which
the urban transport sector is developing. A frequently heard complaint is
that there is no recent overview of modal split data and trends therein
for cities in Asia.  The Clean Air Initiative for Asian Cities (CAI-Asia),
 with the help of other organizations like EMBARQ/WRI Center for
Transportation and Environment and the Institute for Transportation and
Development Policy (ITDP), has therefore taken the initative to gather
updated information on modal split data in selected Asian cities (see
attached ). This compilation is also posted online at
http://www.cleanairnet.org/caiasia/1412/article-60210.html

We would like to receive your comments on the data that we have gathered.
If you had additional studies please send us copies of the studies. You
can also add the information to the table but in that case please send us
the complete reference for our information. We are especially interested
in trends for individual cities, which have been calculated making use of
the same methodology and definitions for the different years.  Some trends
can be observed from the data posted but in many cases different
definitions and methodologies have been used that make the trends somehow
questionable.

We thank you for your cooperation as always. Please send your inputs to
Aurora Fe Ables aables at adb.org. We would like to receive them if possible
by 30 June, 2005.

Best regards,
Cornie Huizenga
Head of Secretariat
Clean Air Initiative for Asian Cities (CAI-Asia)
Asian Development Bank
Tel (632) 632-5047
Fax (632) 636 2198
Email chuizenga at adb.org