[sustran] Re: [NewMobilityCafe] Re: Segway is environmental orsustainable?

Walter Hook whook at itdp.org
Tue Jun 14 00:14:00 JST 2005

The inventor of the Segway, Dean Kamen, came to ITDP and Transportation alternatives a year or so ago.  He  is the well known inventor of this famous wheelchair that can climb stairs.  I was ready to be supportive of the thing, and thought these guys might be good allies for traffic calmed streets and high quality grade separated cycling facilities, where they would in my opinion operate reasonably compatably with bicycles.i had him crash it into me to see what it was like, and it was like being hit by a person jogging, not like being hit by a vehicle, certainly no worse than being hit by a cyclist.  So it seems to me that the regulatory system should treat them the same way bicycles are treated.  I see no difficulty using them on suburban sidewalks which are relatively under-utilized.  But certainly they don't belong on New York City sidewalks, which are extremely overcrowded in many areas.

the biggest problem is with Dean Kamen and the Segway company that he owns entirely.  He insists that they are unsafe for use on streets in any conditions and is adamant that they belonged only on the sidewalks.  As such, he sees no common cause with cyclists, and he has put himself on a collision course with pedestrian advocates and some advocates for the disabled.  It is as if he has decided that it is easier politically to steam roller pedestrian groups and grab scarce sidewalk space than it is to beat the highway lobby and grab road space for bicycles and segways, or to win traffic calming, so they decided to pick on the weaker guys.  His attitude was so arrogant and insulting, "Who voted for you guys," he asked.  Our five thousand members," we said.  "five thousand?  That's nothing," he said.  The strong arm tacticts of his lobbyists so bare knuckled, that he alienated virtually all of us bike ped advocates.

Well, TA's 5000 members managed to beat him in Albany and keep them illegal on new york city sidewalks.   In parts of the outer boroughs, this is probably too bad, but in Manhattan and busy parts of brooklyn and queens, this is a good thing.

best
walter

Walter Hook, Ph.D.
Executive Director
Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP)
127 West 26th Street, Suite 1003
New York, NY 10001
Ph:  (212) 629-8001
Fax: (212) 629-8033

Promoting environmentally sustainable and equitable transportation worldwide

Visit http://www.itdp.org