[sustran] Re: Sustainable transport - "Self-containment"

Jain Alok ajain at kcrc.com
Fri Jun 3 19:56:07 JST 2005

Dear Alan,

Hong Kong tried this concept over last 30 years. In 1970s, "New Towns" were
developed in the outskirts with an aim of making them self-contained. The
land-use and transport systems were also devised with the same aim. Over the
time, however, this did not seem to work. Because travelling between these
self-contained "New Towns" was not prohibitive, a desire for better
opportunities (I guess) while not uprooting their families could be
fulfilled. The "Inter-New Town" travel kept increasing and to keep pace with
the demand, Government had continued to provide the infrastructure thereby
further improving the accessibility. As this cycle continued, the
self-containment was not possible.

I must mention that the although "New Towns" are not self-contained they
have evolved into full communties where a large amount of activities
(shopping, schooling, recreation etc) are self-contained.

Alok Jain