[sustran] Re: Airport ground access modal shares - a request

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 29 12:45:11 JST 2005

This reminds me of my bachelor's thesis at LSE which was an evaluation of
the choice between extending the Underground to Heathrow Airport and
having an overground connection.

In my thesis, I said that the overground would have been a better choice
-- and I believe I was certainly right in terms of access to Central
London for travelers. However, the Underground is much more useful for
commuters. Not only that but, when an overground service was in fact
built, it was priced so highly (it costs fourteen pounds one-way) that it
is too expensive not only for commuters but also for a large number of
airport passengers. My sister cannot justify taking her family of four on
a train with fares that cost more than a taxi and are many times the cost
of the Underground. The opportunity has been lost for creating a
high-volume public transport service in favour of an elite commercial
enterprise.

                                              --Jonathan

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Eric Bruun wrote:

> Alan
>
> Try www.tcrponline.com. There is a free publication about transit
> access to airports
> that has the mode split for several airports.
>
> Also, don't just look at travelers, look at workers. In the US, there
> are lots of low paid workers
> at airports who also need access. The new schemes like the JFK AirTrain
> are cost prohibitive for
> commuting.
>
> Eric Bruun

-----

Jonathan E. D. Richmond                               02 524-5510 (office)
Visiting Fellow                               Intl.: 662 524-5510
Urban Environmental Management program,
School of Environment, Resources and Development
Room N260B                                            02 524-8257 (home)
Asian Institute of Technology                 Intl.: 662 524-8257
PO Box 4
Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120                        02 524-5509 (fax)
Thailand                                      Intl:  662 524-5509

e-mail: richmond at ait.ac.th               Secretary:  Kuhn Vantana Pattanakul
        richmond at alum.mit.edu		              02 524-6368
					      Intl:  662 524-6132
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/