[sustran] Re: Airport ground access modal shares - a request

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jul 28 20:09:29 JST 2005

I don't have the exact numbers, but I know it is low.

In fact, ridership on the rail system got so low that the government
permitted the operator to discontinue direct service to central Singapore.
there is now only a shuttle, and passengers to and from the airport have
to change which, of course, discourages ridership further.

One issue is that taxis are cheap in Singapore. If you don't have someone
to pick you up, you can get where you're going pretty fast by cab, and if
there are two or three of you it is often no more expensive than public
transport.

                                --Jonathan

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Alan Howes wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the ground access modal share to public transport for =
Singapore (Changi) airport - or any other interesting airports for that mat=
ter (I have London already)?

> Or a suggestion where I could look - Google has failed me!
>
> Alan
>
> --
> Alan Howes
> Associate Transport Planner
> Colin Buchanan
> email:  alan.howes at cbuchanan.co.uk <mailto:alan.howes at cbuchanan.co.uk>
>
> www: http:/www.cbuchanan.co.uk/
> _______________________________
> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intende=
d solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed=
=2E Unless you are the named addressee, or authorised to receive it for the=
 addressee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If y=
ou have received this email in error please contact the sender by replying =
to this email.
> Any views expressed by an individual within this email which do not const=
itute or record professional advice relating to the business of CBP, do not=
 necessarily reflect the views of the company. Any professional advice or o=
pinion contained within this email is subject to our terms and conditions o=
f business.
> We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software v=
iruses. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by softwar=
e viruses.
> _______________________________
>

> ________________________________

rg on behalf of Todd Alexander Litman
> [...]
> addressing a wide range of transport planning and policy issues. VTPI als=
> provides consulting services.
>                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> ONLINE TDM ENCYCLOPEDIA
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>
> The VTPI "Online TDM Encyclopedia" (http://www.vtpi.org/tdm ) is a
> comprehensive information resource to help identify and evaluate innovati=
ve
> management solutions to transport problems, available for free on our
> website. We continually update and expand the Encyclopedia. We recently
> added the following two chapters, and updated many other chapters with ne=
> information.
>
> 'Light Rail Transit' (http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm121.htm )
> Light Rail Transit (LRT) systems provide convenient local public transit
> service on busy urban corridors, connecting major destinations such as
> central business districts, medical centers, campuses and entertainment
> centers. LRT vehicles tend to have relatively smooth and comfortable
> operation, easy boarding, attractive station areas, and easy-to-understan=
> routes and schedules.
>
> 'Traffic Operations and Management' (http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm111.htm )
> Traffic Operations (also called Transportation Systems Management or just
> Traffic Management) refers to facility management strategies that improve
> roadway system performance. Transportation professional organizations and
> agencies increasingly recognize the importance of Operational strategies
> for solving transport problems.
>            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> NEW DOCUMENTS
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>
> "Terrorism, Transit and Public Safety: Evaluating The Risks"
> (http://www.vtpi.org/transitrisk.pdf ).
> This paper evaluates the overall safety of public transit, taking into
> account all risks, including recent terrorist attacks. It indicates that
> transit is an extremely safe mode, with total per passenger-mile fatality
> rates approximately one-tenth that of automobile travel. It is important
> for individuals and public officials to avoid overreacting to terrorist
> threats in ways that increase overall danger. Transit terrorism would cau=
se
> more total casualties and harm to society if individuals respond to attac=
ks
> by shifting from public transit to less safe modes, or if decision-makers
> respond by reducing support for public transit.
>
> Here is some of the media coverage it generated:
>
> "Protect public transportation," Neil Peirce Column,
> (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2002387305_peirce18.html )=
=2E

> "Washington Cuts Security Funds for Public Transport," IPS News Agency
> (http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=3D29575 ).
>
> "Terrorism, transit and safety," Toronto Star
/Article_Type1&c=3DArticle&cid=3D1122414613350&call_pageid=3D968256290204&c=
ol=3D968350116795),
> [...]
> Reference Manual," (http://depts.washington.edu/trac/bulkdisk/pdf/574.1.p=
df
> ) by Anne Vernez Moudon, et al., for the Washington State Department of
> Transportation, 2003. This is a comprehensive and easy to understand manu=
al
> for implementing smart growth planning.
>

> "Livable Communities: An Evaluation Guide,"
> (http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/il/d18311_communities.pdf ), by the
> American Association of Retired Persons. This guide emphasizes the value =
of
> walkability, transit service, mixed land use (public services within
> walking distance), and pedestrian security, particularly for seniors, whi=
ch
> we all hope to be in the future (growing old is better than the
> alternative). It includes specific guidelines for evaluating these featur=
es.

> The current edition of Shared Spaces (http://www.sharedspaces.nl ) , the
> online English-language quarterly from the Dutch Ministry of Housing,
> Spatial Planning and the Environment, explores the challenges of developi=
ng
> effective climate change policy and abatement measures. State Secretary
> Pieter van Geel talks about the current state of Dutch climate change
> policy and the urgent need for international action. Dutch policy
> negotiator, Henri=EBtte Bersee, discusses the relationship between policy=
 and
> science with academics from the Netherlands Environmental Assessment
> Agency. Experts from the Small Island States, Australia, Nepal and
> Kazakhstan talk first hand about their experiences with the harmful effec=
ts
> of climate change.
>                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> A PERSONAL NOTE
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> It is with great sadness that we report the recent death of Marshall
> Litman, father of VTPI Executive Director Todd Litman, and an important
> inspiration for the Institute. A short tribute to him is posted at
> http://www.vtpi.org/litman/marshall.pdf.
>                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> Please let us know if you have comments or questions about any informatio=
> in this newsletter, or if you would like to be removed from our mailing
> list. And please pass this newsletter on to others who may find it useful=
=2E

> Sincerely,
> Todd Litman, Director
> Victoria Transport Policy Institute
> "Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"
> 1250 Rudlin Street
> Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, Canada
> Phone & Fax: 250-360-1560
> Email: litman at vtpi.org
> Website: http://www.vtpi.org

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred, equit=
able and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'G=
lobal South'). Because of the history of the list, the main focus is on urb=
an transport policy in Asia.

-----

Jonathan E. D. Richmond                               02 524-5510 (office)
Visiting Fellow                               Intl.: 662 524-5510
Urban Environmental Management program,
School of Environment, Resources and Development
Room N260B                                            02 524-8257 (home)
Asian Institute of Technology                 Intl.: 662 524-8257
PO Box 4
Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120                        02 524-5509 (fax)
Thailand                                      Intl:  662 524-5509

e-mail: richmond at ait.ac.th               Secretary:  Kuhn Vantana Pattanaku=
        richmond at alum.mit.edu=09=09              02 524-6368
=09=09=09=09=09      Intl:  662 524-6132
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/