[sustran] Prize program in support of Third World Youth Projects : Applications and recommendations welcome

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Jul 15 23:20:30 JST 2005

Subject: Prize program in support of Third World Youth Projects

             Applications and recommendations welcome

Dear Friends of Sustainable Development and Social Justice,

The following just came in over the transom and I pass it on to you
immediately just in case that you might have an idea and or some candidates
for them.  The time frame is ridiculous (there are reasons for it but anyway
.. .) , but there are two possible mitigating factors.

1.       The application form (outlined below and available on line at
http://surveys.takingitglobal.org/survey.html?SurveyID=32) is quickly done.
. . and need be no more than a few pages in all.

2.       Even if you cannot submit in time the secretariat is prepared to
take late applications and have plans for continuing and extending the
program for several years. So all would not be lost.

Let me not take your time from this end, other than to say that The Commons:
Open Society Sustainability Initiative and all its projects and programs
strongly supports efforts such as this which are ready to identity and
support outstanding sustainability initiatives which demonstrate in concrete
terms that the prevailing patterns of inertia and lassitude can be broken.
Our long term relations with the Stockholm Partnerships for Sustainable
Cities (see http://www.partnerships.stockholm.se/jury_index.html) is just
one of many examples of this, along with our current support of several
nominees for this years World Technology Prize for Environment (more
information on that at the bottom of the left menu on our home page).

Here you have it, and if you do respond, it would be kind if you might copy
it to us as well.  We want to follow this program and wish them the very
best.  And if you have some counsel or ideas for them, while bearing in mind
that they intend this as a continuing program, well that too would be a
great idea.

With all good wishes,

Eric Britton

The Commons: Open Society Sustainability Initiative - http://ecoplan.org
<http://ecoplan.org/>

Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara    75006 Paris, France

Tel:  Europe: +331 4326 1323       N. America +1 310 601-8468

Mobile:  +33 6 73.21 58.68           Fax: +33 1 53.01 28.96

E:  <mailto:eric.britton at ecoplan.org> eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Skype: ericbritton

Prize program in support of Third World Youth Projects

Peace Child International, the Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations
(SCVO) and Lloyds TSB Foundation for Scotland are working together to set up
an international fund to support 40-50 youth-led development projects
costing $500 - $1,000 designed chiefly to benefit the most disadvantaged in
society. This fund will be distributed at the World Youth Congress in
Stirling, Scotland on Saturday 6th August - assuming that there are enough
projects of sufficient quality submitted from developing countries or
emerging economies (Central & Eastern Europe).

Each project must be submitted on the form below. Each application will be
reviewed by a panel consisting of representatives of PCI, TakingITGlobal,
SCVO, Lloyds TSB Foundation for Scotland and young people themselves.
Delegates attending the congress will have the opportunity of presenting
their own projects to the Programme Officers, but we are happy to accept
projects proposed by non-delegates. Those not selected in this first round
will be considered as part of our programme of Action Projects seeking
funding ahead of the next World Youth Congress in Quebec City, Canada.

So what kind of projects are we looking for?

*	Projects costing $500 - $1,000. If you put in a project proposal
seeking more than that, it will be automatically rejected.
*	Projects that are genuinely youth-led: it cannot be a bunch of
adults getting some young people to front their project so they can get
money for it.
*	It must be for a community benefit: so you cannot apply for your
school fees!
*	It can be either income-generating - funds to start up a small
business and creating jobs; or it can be non-income generating - for health,
education, environmental clean-up or community improvement - social
programmes which are of genuine and lasting community value.

Deadline? Projects from non-delegates must be submitted by 18.00 GMT on
Friday July 29th.

Please Note: a lot of the youth-led action project proposals we receive are
very similar! School renovation, environmental clean-ups, small scale
farming projects etc. These are good and we are happy to receive more
proposals along these lines. But we are really hoping for some radically
different, more ambitious youth-led projects to impress and surprise the
grant maker and future potential sponsors. So stretch your imaginations -
come up with some really amazing projects that will feed and inform our
discussions in Stirling and make a real difference in your community.

Remember: A picture tells thousand words! We encourage every young project
manager, if you can, to take pictures of the project site, showing why the
project is urgently needed, and also of you and your team members. We will
mount the photographs along with a summary of the information you give in
this form on our website, making our project more attractive to potential
sponsors. Send your digital photographs along with your name and the title
of your project to this e-mail address: david at peacechild.org or bring them
with you to the Congress.

Project details (See website for your direct response to each item.)

1. Project Title: In TEN words or less, give your project a name that sums
up what you are doing:

2. The Context: Describe your community - how many people live there, what
they do, living conditions etc.

3. The need: What is the problem your project is addressing?

4. Work Schedule: What are you actually going to do, by when?

5. Your Team: Who is going to do this work? Give us their names and ages.
Are they part an organisation? Why do you think your team is qualified to do
this work?

6. The Mentor: Give us the name, address or e-mail address of an adult who
has skills in this area of work who is prepared to support you to make sure
your project is completed successfully.

7. The Evaluators: Give us the name and address or e-mail of some one not
involved in the project who will write a report on your project telling us
if it met the needs you set out to address; you may wish to appoint one
older and younger evaluator

8. The Budget: What is your project going to cost? Write down everything you
are going to have to buy and give us a total UNDER $1,000(US).

9. Handling Money: Very important--How you get and spend the money is often
the biggest problem in youth-led development. So find a registered NGO,
school or religious body to receive the funds into their bank account, buy
materials for your project, and return accounts and a full financial report
to us. Please give details of the organisation you are using as a financial
agent, their bank account details and the nature of the agreement you have
with them.

10. Sustainability: How will the project continue after you have spent the
funds we send you?

11. TIG Projects: Have you set up a project page for your action plan on
TakingITGlobal.org? If so, what is the link? If not, consider setting one up
at projects.takingitglobal.org.

David R. Woollcombe
Founder, Peace Child International
 The White House