[sustran] Re: WorldTransport Forum NY Times article on car dependence

Chris Bradshaw hearth at ties.ottawa.on.ca
Fri Jul 15 12:01:05 JST 2005

> Subject: WorldTransport Forum NY Times article on car dependence

> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/12/international/asia/12china.html

This article provides interesting challenges.

As a proponent of carsharing, I am dismayed that the $4,600 registration fee
for each car doesn't dampen demand for _owning a car_ (vs. using it).  At
least they are dreaming of owning only one car per _household_, vs. one for
every person of driving age, as it is over here.

The article doesn't mention the parking problems, nor what it costs to park
(I am just reading the very important new book: Shoup, Donald, 2004, _The
High Cost of Free Parking_).  The amazing growth of high-rise development
suggests it is very expensive.

It would be interesting to _offer_ carsharing to see what demand it might
induce.

I continue to be convinced that carsharing will catch on over there and
other "developing societies" only only if the "model" cultures embrace it
first, showing that car-ownership is not what it is cracked up to be.

Chris Bradshaw
Vrtucar, Ottawa, Canada