[sustran] Terrorism, Transit and Public Safety

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Tue Jul 12 05:11:07 JST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

Thanks very much to those who provided comments on my paper, "Terrorism,
Transit and Public Safety" (http://www.vtpi.org/transitrisk.pdf). (Note
that this is a different URL than what we used earlier.)

I appreciate feedback, even when I don't agree with it. I realize that
terrorism is an emotional issue which raises important moral and analytic
questions, and that people legitimately have different opinions about the
best response. The feedback I received helped identify ways in which my
paper was unclear and could be misunderstood. I certainly never intended it
to imply that transit terrorism risks are unimportant and can be ignored.
On the contrary, my analysis is based on the premise that all life is
precious, and so all risks should be considered, and my research highlights
the value to society of insuring that transit travel is safe and attractive
to users.

I have expanded and tried to improve the clarity of analysis in my paper.
I'd greatly appreciate your suggestions for improving it. I want to keep
this paper short, but I would be glad to add more specific information on
ways that individuals and officials can reduce transit terrorism risks.

Sincerely,
Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"