[sustran] Re: Terrorism, Transit and Public Safety

Michael D. Setty msetty at publictransit.us
Sun Jul 10 01:28:09 JST 2005

RE: "Sextrain"

In Mr. Richmond's book Transport of Delight, which is based on his
Piled Higher and Deeper(tm) thesis, there are references and
metaphors comparing the desire among politicians, in particular, for
rail transit as similar to sexual desires, including such gems as the
analogy of how subways are like sex, along the lines: "...the train
is revealed as both a woman and a penis." Dime-store psych, if a
literary metaphor

For more on this, see http://www.publictransit.us/modules.php?
op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=7

Here is the article, from June 18, 2003 [2006 comments in BOLD]

HEY DEMERY, WE'VE GOT A LIVE ONE

(A Reply to Dr. Jonathan Richmond, Post-Modern Loon)

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than knowledge." Charles
Darwin

WP02-03 Monorails in Japan: An Overview (644k PDF 4.0 document)

WP02-04 Rapid Bus and Rapid Rail: Peak Period Service Supply vs.
Observed Passenger Utilization (308k PDF 4.0 document). Documents
35%-40% higher peak period rail patronage compared to bus when equal
capacity is provided.

WP02-01 Detroit Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Critique (572k PDF 4.0 doc)

Recently we received an e-mail from Jonathan Richmond, a relatively
well-known academic critic of rail transit, with a subtext that our
conclusions regarding rail transit weren't strictly based on
verifiable facts, contrary to our "about" statement. This post is a
slightly edited reply to Dr. Richmond's email. Richmond's website is
at the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/ . But first a sidebar...

Dr. Richmond:

Just read the little blurb on the web page for your upcoming book
( www3.akron.edu/uapress/richmond.html ) for an unneeded rehash of
your half-baked clueless ivory tower "deconstructionist" thesis
Transport of Delight: The Mythical Conception of Rail Transit in Los
Angeles .
In all intellectual honesty, how can you possibly make the following
statement regarding L.A.'s light rail Blue Line!?:

"En route, it shows that ridership forecasting for this project was
not only biased and statistically invalid, but in fact done to
justify decisions made on other grounds."

FUNNY, the original traffic forecast for the Blue Line was 54,000
passengers daily, and currently passenger traffic exceeds 70,000
daily. Even if you calculated in lower patronage for zone fares,
patronage would still be higher than the original 54,000 per day
forecast!

It would be rather unprofessional of you to not update your pending
book to reflect actual experience. But I doubt you'll change your
research; reality has a funny habit of upsetting many pet theories.
If you persist and don't change your analysis, I think you will be
proven to be a sorrier character than even Wendell Cox, whose facts
are at least nominally correct most of the time (Cox's hard time is
figuring out what they really mean). BOY, THIS WAS RIGHT...

You are also a professionally unqualified failure in your
psychological and cultural analysis (I don't see any degrees in
psych...) Who else but an academic hack whose brain has been fuzzed
out by 'deconstructionist' gobblygook would write this '...the train
is revealed as both a woman and a penis...' Oh, pullleezzzeee. Andrea
Dworkin makes more sense!!

I will also restrain myself (and boy, is it hard!) from making any
deconstructionist or psychological theorizing about why you post a
photo of yourself in front of an L.A. Blue Line train...

Now back to our original reply.

Dr. Richmond:

Given the titles and tone of some of your past work (The Mythic
Conception of Rail Transit in Los Angeles), I find it brazen someone
of your academic pedigree thinking us guilty of some sort of 'pro-
rail bias' not based on verifiable facts.

If you look further at our work, you'll find that our conclusions
that rail works, and often works extremely well in many circumstances
compared to the alternatives, are based on verifiable facts. For
example, Demery's rather extensive research on peak period passenger
loads actually observed on a wide selection of rail and bus services
in the United States and around the world. Or his quite accurate,
predictions of Los Angeles Red Line patronage originally made in the
mid-1990's.

We agree with you in principle that transit planners need to be less
obsessed with technology and unblinking modal advocacy. We concur
strongly with the points made by Australian Paul Mees in his 2000
book A Very Public Solution about the need for strong, central
planning in urban regions, with technological, service delivery (do
we or do we not contract out?), and modal selection issues still
critical, but of secondary importance. But the Mees book doesn't
undermine the case for rail where sufficient traffic density exists
to support its capital costs.

Mees uses Toronto to compare with Melbourne-the latter blessed with a
rail network even more extensive on a per capita basis than Tokyo,
the most extensive in the Western world, despite Melbourne's
relatively low density and Anglo roots. But Toronto has managed to
maintain much per capita higher transit patronage than Melbourne,
despite the TTCÕs relatively short subway and streetcar system being
confined to a relatively small core area. The difference is explained
by consistent funding and service policies, extensive coordination
between different modes and types of service, as well as centralized
regional transportation planning (at least until the most recent
neoconservative provincial government was elected!)

Toronto's most profound transportation decision was to focus on
expanded transit service, not just roadways, beginning subway
construction in the early 1950's. Virtually all American cities
constructed freeways, with the most negative results Detroit, similar
in size to Toronto but very much a social and economic basket case.
Even in 2003, two decades after the last significant expansion of the
Toronto subway system, the subway plays a central role in transit and
transportation, serving as at least one link in about 2/3 of all
linked transit trips within the old Metro Toronto boundaries.
Toronto's newest challenge is to extend the same sort of transit
thinkingÑand investment--that has proven so successful during the
last 50 years within old Metro Toronto to serve the outer suburbs.

Excessive, unrealistic expectations by some rail advocates are
sometimes a problem, particularly government officials who put too
much faith in computer models and the formulaic studies demanded by
the FTA. A case in point was the absurd expectations for L.A. Red
Line traffic levels of 300,000+ daily passengers in the 1980's,
versus the 120,000-130,000 per day actually achieved and accurately
predicted by Mr. Demery in the mid-1990's. But many looking for a
"magic bullet" with the benefits of rail "on the cheap" often have
unrealistic, excessive expectations about "bus rapid transit" and
what it can realistically accomplish.

For example, Wendell Cox's latest "apples to watermelons" comparisons
between traffic levels on South American busways versus Anglo-
American rail systems (http://www.publicpurpose.com/ut-sausrail.htm).
Cox reveals himself as less than a completely coherent analyst when
he doesn't point out the biggest differences, e.g., (a) South
Americans squeeze themselves into transit vehicles at densities
utterly unacceptable to Americans (autos aren't an option for the
vast majority), and (b) average trip lengths in Curtiba et al tend to
be relatively short, compared to rail trips in cities like San
Francisco or Washington, D.C. In our view, Cox is clueless about the
importance of these factors. He also avoids unpleasant facts that
undermine his point, such as Curtiba flirting with monorails in at
least one busway corridor where the capacity of even double-
articulated buses has apparently been reached (surface LRT with 3-4
car trains probably makes sense in that corridor, but that's another
screed). CURITIBA IS NOW COMMITTED TO BUILDING ITS FIRST LRT LINE.

I took a cursory look at the short summary of your 1999 "systems"
paper. To a great extent, it appears to regurgitate much of
Pickrell's study. The whole subject area would greatly benefit from
inclusion of up-to-date information.

As previously stated, we agree in principle that transit planners
must take a systematic, "big picture" view, rather than being
obsessed with technology or a specific mode (this applies to BRT
advocates as well!). But I must take issue with your analysis of LRT
in at least three cases I am very familiar with: Portland,
Sacramento, and Los Angeles.

First Sacramento. Current RT Metro patronage is now up to about
31,000-32,000 daily, ironically about 2/3 on the East Line, 1/3 on
the Northeast Line (the reverse of original predictions). Comparing
what was built and how it is operated with the original projections
made 20 years ago actually give some credibility to those original
projections. The East Line has exceeded all expectations, primarily
due to the fact that LRT service is reasonably fast and direct, and
close to large residential concentrations. The Northeast Line is a
completely different matter. The original studies predicted up to
50,000 daily LRT passengers, mostly in the I-80 corridor. Unlike
original assumptions, the Northeast Line operates about half the
speed needed to be auto-competitive, wandering up 12th Street, across
the American River, and along a rather slow, indirect route until the
last few miles of relatively fast running on the old I-80 Bypass
right-of-way to Watt Avenue. From 12th and K Street, the trip take 23
minutes to go 7-8 miles, while a direct line along the railroad right
of way (if it had been built) would shave at least 8-10 minutes off
the running time. A new high speed line to Roseville with a fast new
downtown entrance would cost $450-$500 million, but it would also
carry at least 35,000-40,000 daily rides, versus the 10,000-12,000
carried by the "Toonerville Trolley" half of RT Metro.

In Portland, MAX now serves about 80,000 daily passengers, 29,000 on
the West Line and 51,000 on the East Line and Airport branch.[NOW
OVER 100,000 DAILY].  Subtracting the airport branch, the East Line
now exceeds the original 42,500 rides per day prediction by a small
margin, because a commensurate, if still inadequate, level of service
is now being provided. All indications are that MAX could be serving
significantly more riders if sufficient capacity were offered.
Currently MAX trains during the peak are very heavily packed by U.S.
standards, at 4.5 to 5.0 passengers per meter of vehicle length (see
Demery's demand vs. supply paper). A 20% increase in peak period
capacity is justified now, if only to reduce overcrowding to a more
reasonable standard. Of course, Portlanders would probably take
advantage of the new space, increasing overall patronage by 15% to
20%. Thus East Line patronage sans airport could increase to a range
of 52,000 to 55,000 daily. In fact, Tri-Met has extra cars on order,
in addition to those needed for the Interstate line, to help
alleviate crowding.

Portland also would make for an interesting thought experiment if LRT
didn't exist. Currently the MAX East Line carries about 3,500
[ACTUALLY BOTH WAYS] inbound passengers during the morning peak hour,
or about 1.7 to 1.8 [ONE MORE 26% OF THE MARKET] freeway lanes
equivalent. Substitute capacity provided by freeway would require
construction of a billion dollar-plus facility--presumably in the old
Mt. Hood freeway (e.g., McLouglin Blvd) corridor rejected three
decades ago. Alternative bus express bus service would have required
at least some capital improvements costing a significant fraction of
the LRT project's cost. Using observed bus occupancy factors from the
Seattle busway tunnel of 2.5 passengers per meter of vehicle length,
the Banfield corridor would have to carry 90-100 [70-80] buses during
the inbound peak hour to match current LRT patronage. This implies an
overall additional bus fleet of at least 150 vehicles, costing
40%-50% more to operate than the current MAX system.

In Los Angeles, an immediate benefit could be gained by MTA
financially if bus to rail transfer rules were eased, switching a
significant percentage of Wilshire Rapid Bus passengers to the Red
Line where it operates parallel service. Many passengers would gain
more reliable and faster service; MTA would gain because some buses
could be reassigned to other routes, thus increasing patronage and/or
reducing overcrowding (some success of the Ventura Boulevard Rapid
Bus also is certainly due to the Red Line transfer opportunity).

Also in L.A., the question is not whether rail works or is needed,
but rather why are capital and operating costs so high? Certainly a
more cost-conscious MTA administration could have saved several
hundred million on Red Line construction-but I suppose corruption and
politics got in the way (not inherent in rail per se, contrary to
what Wendell Cox or Robert Poole would claim, I'm sure). On the
operating side, why are MTA unit costs so high for both bus and rail
operations, when other operators in the same regionÑsuch as Long
Beach, Santa Monica, or Montebello, among othersÑhave much lower
overall unit operating costs though driver and other pay rates are
essentially the same? Why are LRT unit operating costs 40% to 50%
higher than the national LRT average, at $300+/vehicle hour? Granted,
LA LRT security is intense, using about 25% of the LRT operating
budget. But there still is a large increment in unit costs well above
the national average, even when adjusted for wage rates.

  Also, it would seem that Green Line patronage of 30,000 daily is
reasonable for a line that operates "nowhere to nowhere" (not
compared to original wild estimates, but other U.S. LRT lines). It
probably could come close to original estimates IF extended the last
2 miles to LAX, plus connections to the South Bay and Santa Monica/
West L.A. areas; in other words, if a more extensive network existed.
The existing three line L.A. rail transit network does remarkably
well, considering it covers less than 60 route miles in an area of 10
million people, but serves as a link in 20%-25% of total linked
transit trips.

On Jul 9, 2005, at 3:35 AM, Millvalley at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/9/2005 3:20:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> msetty at publictransit.us writes:
> To Mr. Jonathan Richmond, PhD#, the famous Los Angeles "Sextrain"
> sexpert:
>
> Go stuff it up where the sun don't shine, Mr. Sextrain.
> For those of us who are uninitiated, please explain the term "Mr.
> Sextrain."
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Schneider

Michael D. Setty