[sustran] Re: Bangkok Car free day- who can ride motorised and who cannot?

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Tue Jul 5 21:16:32 JST 2005

Carlos,

I guess the key question is what you want to achieve with a car-free day (or whatever you choose to call it) :

a) A day of relief and relative quiet by taking as much as possible off the roads. Of course, this is not something that can be done on a day-in-day-out basis, since people and goods must move.

b) A demonstration of a practical alternative mobility scenario for Bangkok.

If you are seeking (a), then you get everything possible off the streets.

If you are seeking (b), then you take out only the private cars. If you could succeed in removing 100% of the private cars for a day, and leaving everything else, then perhaps you could get some answers to two key questions :

1) Can the city function without the private car, and are the alternatives sufficient for the people who are displaced?

2) To what extent is the car the problem, and do you have to cut deeper into other means of transport as well ?

I don't see any point in giving free rides on the buses. If the streets move more freely on a car-free day, then that's already a big value-added to bus users and shows them they can get better service quality for their money. It would also demonstrate to the operators the potential cost savings while safeguarding their revenue.

Good luck with the initiative.

Brendan.