[sustran] new communications tool for sustainable transport world wide

EcoPlan, Paris eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed Jan 26 00:22:06 JST 2005

Dear Sustran Friends,

We are in the process of piecing together a new communications tool in
support of our international exchanges, consensus building and open peer
support program under the New Mobility Agenda, to which I would now like to
invite you to make submissions to inform the world about (a) the interesting
and important work of you and your associates/programs, as well as (b) your
ideas more generally for how to advance the sustainability agenda in your
cities and beyond.

If you go to the Agenda at  <http://newmobility.org/> http://newmobility.org
and click  <http://the-commons.blogspot.com/> A Day at the Office on the top
menu, you will be able to see this tool at work. (A quick visit to the "Blog
use hints" link in the top box may also prove helpful to get your going
smoothly on this.)

The idea, I would suggest, is to create a neat "one page" (say 750 words
max) summary statement introducing your program, raison d'etre, key dates,
and enough so that the reader will quickly grasp who you are and why she
might want to know more about your work.  Which you will then oblige by
proving links, both to your website and perhaps some links to media articles
or a few reports. (My guess is that most of this information will already be
readily at hand in most cases, meaning that the challenge is mainly one of
assembling, editing and giving the whole thing some good punch so that it
engages the busy reader.)

Moreover, I would want to cross-post this information carefully, including
to the New Mobility Agenda sites and some others of our international
colleagues referenced there.

To conclude: I very much think that the world needs to know more about the
work and approaches of these "Third Voice" transportation/environment groups
around the world.  They have to know who we are, what we stand for, and
where to go for more, if we are to make an impact.

I invite you to start with a couple of draft entries to get us going.  We
can then fine tune and once we have our good template, we can get this on
line and working for us all.

With all good wishes,

Eric Britton

PS. Is this an original idea? Certainly not, in fact if you go to our World
Resources Inventory (also on the top menu) you will see very brief
'profiles' and web references on more than five hundred leading groups world
wide. But we feel that a nicely clustered listing of groups targeting
specifically the sustainable mobility/social justice agenda is going to find
many uses.  I hope you agree and that we shall be hearing from you.

The New Mobility Agenda is at http://newmobility.org
<http://newmobility.org/>

To call free via Skype.com. Click here. <callto://ericbritton/>
(callto://ericbritton)

Free video/voice conferencing: http://newmobilitypartners.org
<http://newmobilitypartners.org/>

The Commons: Open Society Sustainability Initiative at http://ecoplan.org
<http://ecoplan.org/>

Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara          75006 Paris, France

E: postmaster at newmobility.org          T: +331 4326 1323

--- Outgoing mail certified Virus Free.  Checked by Norton Anti-Virus

The Commons Open Society Sustainability Initiative: Seeking out and
supporting new sustainability concepts for business, entrepreneurs,
activists, community groups, and government; a thorn in the side of hesitant
administrators and politicians; and through our joint efforts, energy and
personal choices, placing them and ourselves firmly on the path to a more
sustainable and more just society