[sustran] Message to the European Commission - Do you have one?

EcoPlan, Paris eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Jan 25 22:46:08 JST 2005

Reference: Creating a climate of Public Entrepreneurship at the European
Commission

As you may recall, on Thursday and Friday of this week we have the "Keys to
Carsharing: Moving the City of Tomorrow" conference  of the European
Commission's moses program in Brussels
(http://213.170.188.3/moses/index.asp?page=96 for meeting details).

And on this occasion, I would like to invite each of you if you have any
messages that you might wish to convey to the Commission as to . . .

1.	How can the Commission and the Union more generally mobilize to
provide more on-street effective near-term (since in the long run we all are
dead ;-) support of carsharing in Europe in the two years directly ahead?
2.	Might they do well to consider what they can do for carsharing more
generally (i.e., world wide)? Or just limit themselves to Europe?
3.	And in this same spirit, should this (a) be the focus of a single
focused program (i.e., strictly for carsharing alone)?  Or might it best be
nested in a broader program of aggressive point support for sustainable
mobility initiatives?

4.	And finally, if they were ever to be so bold as to adopt some
variant of our proposed one-size fast-turnaround Local Grant Program, what
would YOU and your colleagues specifically do with a no-fault fifty thousand
Euro grant that could either(a)  make a major difference in your operation
and city, or (b) more generally for the carsharing movement in Europe and
beyond.

What I have at the back of my mind in this is to see what if anything we
might be able to do to encourage what I think of as more aggressive (and
more risky) "Public Entrepreneurship" approaches to making good things
happen in the all too small world of sustainable mobility, as opposed to the
more "prudent" bureau-administrative approaches which are the flavor of the
day.

I shall be pleased to act as your messenger and do my best to ensure that
your voice is heard ion Brussels.