[sustran] Flyovers (Elevated Roads)

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Sun Jan 23 03:49:01 JST 2005

Dear Friends,

As a group advocating Urban Sustainable Transport, we have been opposing
the policy of needless road expansion and building of flyovers for
"reducing congestion and air pollution". However old habits die hard and
policy makers continue to have blind faith in continuing to build flyovers
in cities (almost all medium and large cities fall in this category) that
are experiencing an explosion of personal auto vehicles (two and four
wheelers) , even when the cost of flyovers are astronomical, they destroy
the cityscape,  create hurdles in the path of public transport buses,
encourage greater use of personal auto vehicles and thereby increase road
congestion and pollution even more.

We would like to know from friends in SUSTRAN if you could direct us to any
case studies, reports, or research on the effect of flyovers (elevated
roads) on traffic congestion and air pollution in urban areas.
We are not opposed to the concept of flyovers. Where appropriate (to cross
a railway line or to save heritage/core city areas from being cut up by
roads etc., but we question the effectiveness of flyovers in reducing air
pollution and road congestion especially in Asian cities where the latent
demand for auto vehicles is very high, and auto vehicle growth is over 10%
per annum, because any increase in road surface immediately results in
greater "use" of personal vehicles which is made worse by "generated traffic".

Will appreciate your inputs.

With regards,
--
Sujit Patwardhan