[sustran] Recommended device for free international phone calls

EcoPlan, Paris eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed Jan 12 21:05:13 JST 2005

Wednesday, January 12, 2005, Paris, France, Europe

Dear World Wide Sustainability Colleagues,

In the spirit of international cooperation in support of our strongly shared
concerns for advancing the sustainability agenda in specific ways and
without further undue delay, I would like to invite you today to give
serious consideration to a new software tool for communication that you
probably have already heard about but only a few of us have as yet started
to use.

The product is Skype, and their website is www.skype.com
<http://www.skype.com/> .  Skype offers free IP telephone calls to all who
are signed on to their network.  Also in its latest version it offers two
new wrinkles that are of use to many of us: direct file transfer and the
possibility of conference calls bringing together up to four people at the
same time. Sound quality?  We find it comparable to the normal phone, and
often better.  It is also - and this is indeed important for those many of
us who are cash-strapped in our public interest work - free.

To make it work for you, you will need a recent computer, a sound card, and
a minimum 33.6 Kbps modem or broadband: cable, DSL, etc. (As often on the
web, faster is better, but for once it is not a barrier in this case.)
Skype works with Mac and Linux as well as Windows. For full product
information and system requirements, try http://www.skype.com/products/.

We feel strongly enough about our international collaboration that we invite
you to get in touch once you have it installed so that we can together check
it out and see how it might best work for you.  My personal Skype
address/number is simply ericbritton (no punctuation).

If you go today to the New Mobility Agenda site at http://newmobility.org,
you will note that we have put a one-click icon for a direct Skype call to
us here on the left menu.

I hope that this will open up an era of closer communication and more
efficient cooperation between us and all those with whom we are working and
exchanging materials and cooperating internationally. In the fight for
sustainable development and social justice in this world and now, we need to
make use of every possible tool and advantage that we can get our hands on.

With all good wishes,

Eric Britton

The Commons: Open Society Sustainability Initiative at www.ecoplan.org

Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara                  75006 Paris, France, Europe

Free call via Skype.com. Click here. <callto://ericbritton/>

Free video/voice conferencing available at http://newmobilitypartners.org
<http://www.ericbrittononline.com/>

T: +331 4326 1323          Fax/Voicemail hotline: +331 5301 2896

E: mailto:eric.britton at ecoplan.org  E Back-up: mail at ericbritton.org

            - Outgoing mail certified Virus Free. Checked by Norton
Anti-Virus

The Commons Open Society Sustainability Initiative: Seeking out and
supporting new sustainability concepts for business, entrepreneurs,
activists, community groups, and government; a thorn in the side of hesitant
administrators and politicians; and through our joint efforts, energy and
personal choices, placing them and ourselves firmly on the path to a more
sustainable and more just society.