[sustran] Re: Post-Tsunami help to Samaritan Children's Home in Sri Lanka

roelof.wittink at cycling.nl roelof.wittink at cycling.nl
Tue Jan 11 17:50:13 JST 2005

I-ce and ITDG Sri Lanka currently exchange how the Low Cost Mobility
Support program, coordinated by I-ce with ITDG as one of the partners,
can be used for support to the rehabilitation of roads and be linked to
the huge relief efforts (the Dutch civil society collected 115 million euro
so far).
ITDG was already in a process of developing new roads standards that
would overcome the shortcomings from the past and incorporate
sidewalks and bike paths.  In the city of Galle a bicycle plan would be
developed. The re-investments needed now are an opportunity not-to-
miss.

Roelof Wittink
I-ce general director

On 10 Jan 2005 at 17:46, EcoPlan, Paris wrote:

>                       Monday, January 10, 2005, Paris, France, Europe
>
> Dear Sustran Friends,
>
> I would be most grateful if you could help us do a quick œDue
> Diligence of the following organization with whom we have entered
> into contact, with the idea of seeing what might be done to offer them
> some kind of support in the post-Tsunami rebuilding efforts.It is of
> course very difficult for us to be sure of their complete bona fide
> since we do not have any colleagues directly in place or experienced
> in working with them. My hope is that one or more of you may be able
> to help us carry out even a rapid check, before we begin to put a lot
> of time, effort and eventually money into this.
>
> Background: I attach below some extracts from a newspaper article
> covering the story. There is a website for the Samaritan Children's
> Home at http://samaritanchildrenshome.org, and here is what they have
> to say about themselves and their terrible plight:
>
>     The Samaritan Children's Home was founded in 1994 by Dayalan
>     Sanders in Navalady, a small village on Sri Lanka's eastern
>     peninsula. The orphanage was built through money from the sale of
>     his Maryland home and donations he has managed to collect over the
>     years.
>
>     With no insurance to rebuild the orphanage and a need greater than
>     ever before, the family of Dayalan is trying to raise $400,000
>     needed to meet immediate needs, such as interim accommodations for
>     the orphanage and the purchase of a 4 wheel drive vehicle for
>     transportation; as well to rebuild and re-equip the orphanage and
>     the children.
>
>     Samaritan Children's Home was not only providing a home for the
>     orphaned children, but was also involved in community development
>     projects for the impoverished community in Navalady where the
>     children's home is located. As a result of the current
>     devastation, the needs of the community will be even more, and
>     more children will need shelter at the orphanage.
>
> We have taken first contact with them and at this end have initiated
> some first discussions of possible direct assistance measures, but it
> would be wonderful if you could work your networks to help us be sure
> that this information is accurate. For my part, I am ready to move
> ahead, but given that there are many others who may be involved I feel
> it is only prudent to carry out some kind of check.
>
> Kind thanks dear friends if you can help in this. Also, should you be
> interested in following developments from this end, please let me know
> and I will try to keep you efficiently informed. Who knows? You may as
> well have some good ideas for us in this.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Extracts from article dated Wednesday, December 29, 2004. By John
> Lancaster / The Washington Post
>
> With little warning, director saves 28 orphans from
> tsunami
>
> Navalady, Sri Lanka “ On Sunday morning the 26th, two hundred yards
> [...]

Roelof Wittink, Director
I-ce = Interface for Cycling Expertise
Trans 3, 3512 JJ Utrecht, The Netherlands
tel: +31 (0)30 2304521  fax: +31 (0)30 2312384
email (general): i-ce at cycling.nl
email (personal): roelof.wittink at cycling.nl
website: www.i-ce.info