[sustran] Re: Yellow Brick Road, maybe, but what was behind the Wizard's screen ?

Alan P Howes alan at ourpeagreenboat.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 05:22:20 JST 2005

I quite agree that PRT has nothing at all to do with social justice,
and contributes little to sustainable development - assuming that by
referring to the latter, we are talking about "developing countries".
I can't really think of any developing countries where PRT would be
appropriate, so perhaps it's off-topic here - Singapore or KL could
perhaps be candidates, but from what I know of those places the
densities are probably not appropriate.

And Brendan has the advantage on me in having ridden the Cardiff test
track for ULTra - my turn may come!

But while not wishing to be polemical, and notwithstanding any current
failings in ULTra, I still think PRT potentially has something to
contribute to reducing local emissions, global energy use and land
take in transport.  The application we are working on at present - I
can't really name the location without clearance from various people,
but have a guess! - is a rich city in the Middle East, where PRT would
substitute for short car trips - no more than 3-5 km.  People will not
walk such distances there for reasons of climate.  PRT can go into
buildings in a way that PT cannot.  And car use will be limited by
lack of space for parking - in fact, one use of PRT (as well as
feeding into a rail system) would be to link to car parks.

IMO the function of feeding into a line-haul rail transit system in
low-density areas is a key role for PRT - we may not like it, but
there are lots of people out there who will use rail - and probably
PRT - but will not use bus.  (After tonight's trip home I'm not too
struck on rail either, but that's a different story ...)

Cheers, Alan

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:47:47 -0000, "Brendan Finn" <etts at indigo.ie>
wrote to "Asia and the Pacific sustainable transport"

--
Alan P Howes, Perthshire, Scotland
alan at ourpeagreenboat.co.uk
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/alanhowes/  [Needs Updating!]