[sustran] Re: Yellow Brick Road, maybe, but what was behind the Wizard's screen ?

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Thu Jan 6 19:47:47 JST 2005

Alan,

I visited the ULTra test track in Cardiff in late-2003, listened to the
presentation with an open mind, and had a ride in the cars. I wasn't
impressed by either the seating or ride comfort, or by the general speed.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why any driver would prefer to use
one of these rather than to drive their own car, unless conditions for car
use were made either intolerable or unaffordable. (Perhaps as a short
shuttle within a closed complex, but not for "real" trips).

For passengers, the comfort of GOOD bus services is far superior. (Of
course, if the real objective is insulation from other human beings, well I
just don't have an answer for that). Modest investments in bus services and
priority within traffic would do infinitely more for mobility and market
share than any investment in PRT. The huge strides made in Demand Responsive
/ Flexible Transport show that it can provide the complementary mobility for
both irregular trips and for special needs users.

Also, I find far too many gaps in their logic, especially when they tout it
as an "anywhere to anywhere" system. Has anyone seriously thought just how
much system is needed to connect "everywhere" to "every other where" ?

We currently have a road system that offers that total level of
connectivity - a common infrastructure that can be used by freight vehicles,
buses, cars, cyclists, pedestrians and animal traffic. As so many people on
this site keep on saying, our road system is failing because of the
unrestricted growth of a single mode - the private car - without regard for
the other users or more efficient means of providing mobility.

We need to revitalise and reposition the system that actually exists in our
cities and villages, and which impacts all 6 billion plus of us in our daily
lives. Many people on Sustrans and elsewhere, including Eric Britton, are
trying to map out this complex web, understand the linkages, and find the
equally complex set of solutions to this.

Until this most recent debate, I have remained somewhere between
uninterested and apathetic about PRT, I guess on the grounds that only a
city with more money than sense would invest in it. That rules out just
about everywhere that I live and work (on the lack of money grounds, rather
than sense!). However, if I thought it was going to divert a single cent or
a minute of attention from the struggle for better mobility, then I would
rapidly take a position. A campaigning one. Very strongly. Against.

With best wishes,

Brendan Finn,
ETTS Ltd., Ireland.