[sustran] Re: "The Future Isn't What It Used To Be"

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Tue Jan 4 23:27:33 JST 2005

Dear Mr. Oster,

Thank you for sharing this information, but you had already sent it to me
days ago. It doesn't make much sense for you to broadcast it to multiple
lists. Over the last few weeks, since you've become aware of our
institute's work, you have several times posted misguided and inappropriate
insults about us on the Internet. You have accused me of producing
arbitrary and "bogus" analysis, claimed that my work is biased by rail
industry bribes, and criticized my work in ways indicating that you had not
even read it or tried to understand the concepts (for example, to
economists, free parking is clearly an underpricing of automobile travel,
and the cost of vehicle waste is not simply littering).

While I admire your youthful enthusiasm in support of Evacuated Tube
Transport (I suggest that you spell it out in correspondence, many people
will not understand the acronym), I hope you will understand that those of
us who are a little older and more experienced look at the issues a quite
differently.

Like a lot of young technological enthusiasts, you seem to think that
transportation planning is a horse race, simply identify the option with
the best legs and run with it to become the next Henry Ford or Bill Gates.
The Innovative Transportation Technologies website
(http://faculty.washington.edu/~jbs/itrans) identifies several dozen new
technologies, mostly new drive systems or a variation on public transit,
and each has its advocates who will argue that it is superior to all
others, and if given a chance can easily solve all of our transportation
problems, usually defined as either traffic congestion or depletion of
energy resources.

As a transportation planner and economists I look at things a little
differently. I see a much broader set of problems and potential solutions.
I don't think that any one solution will revolutionize future
transportation, rather, many solutions have their place, some of which are
quite low technology, such as improved walking and cycling conditions. You
start with a technological solution, and then search for the economic
reforms to support it. I start with the economic reforms, and let the
technological solutions find their place. There is a pretty good case for
concluding, as many of us do, that the starting point for implementing
sustainable transportation technology is to correct transportation planning
and market distortions that result in economically excessive automobile
travel, which is why I am concerned about things like underpricing of road
and parking facility use, and urban sprawl. If you are smart, I think you
will realize this too. Let me explain.

Whether you recognize it or not, ETT, PRT, LRT, and the rest of
transportation alphabet soup are forms of public transit. They all
experience large economies of scale: to be economically justified and
successful they need maximum ridership. For example, a particular new
technology might fail if it only serve 10% of trips, but very successful if
it serves 15%. So maximizing ridership is essential.

But ETT and the others face the same problem as current transit: since most
households own a car, the variable costs of vehicle use are relatively low,
and travelers receive free or subsidized parking at most destinations,
there is little justification for most people to use alternatives. To be
successful, ETT requires market reforms, such as road and parking pricing,
and options such as carsharing, which allow households to reduce their
vehicle ownership and rely more on public transit. Since common
destinations are dispersed due to sprawl, and nearly all transit trips
involve walking links, land use reforms (Smart Growth and New Urbanism) and
improved walkability are important for the success of your technology. Our
institute is concerned with these reforms because they make sense,
regardless of the specific propulsion used in public transit systems.

Our institute is not concerned with any individual technology. You have
accused me, in a most inaccurate and inappropriate way, of being biased in
favor of rail and against new technologies. But if you examine the
publications on our website you will only find two about rail transit
("Rail Transit in America" and "Evaluating Criticism of Rail Transit").
There are dozens dealing with planning and market reforms, mobility and
land use management, and nonmotorized transportation. If you really want
innovation that improves transportation system efficiency you'll need these
reforms as a foundation.

Please, in the future, refrain from criticizing ideas and information
before you have investigated them carefully, and don't broadcast insults to
multiple lists.

Best New Year Wishes to all,
-Todd Litman

Email: litman at vtpi.org