[sustran] Rules of Responsible Discourse - Are Parking Costs External?

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Sat Jan 1 00:26:51 JST 2005

Mr. Oster is not observing some basic rules of responsible discourse.

1. He posts a personal message to a list. If he wants to share ideas with
me directly, and arrange meetings in Washington DC, he should send an email
to me. If he wants to share information with a list, he should only include
information of broad interest.

2. He is criticizing my work on multiple lists, the Internet equivalent of
gossip, but as far as I can tell he has not sharing my responses to his
criticisms with each list, depriving readers of a balanced dialogue.

3. He is criticizing me without having bothered read my publications or
learn about the issue. Yesterday morning he insulted my work (calling it
"bogus" and biased) and raised a number of specific objections that I
pointed out are incorrect, which indicates he has not read my material
carefully. For example, he didn't understand the difference between
per-vehicle-mile impacts and per-passenger-mile impacts when comparing car
and motorcycle parking costs, or why motorcycles really don't usually
reduce traffic congestion in North American conditions, or that concerns
about transportation diversity, barrier effect and negative impacts of
sprawl are not my original ideas but reflect an extensive and growing body
of literature. Rather than acknowledging my response, yesterday afternoon
he broadcasts another criticism of my analysis, that parking costs are not
really external, due to the fact that most people use automobiles and so
the costs are ultimately borne by users as a group. His comments reflect a
basic misunderstanding of economic theory. These issues are addressed in my
report, "Transportation Cost and Benefit Analysis," in the section on cost
categories.

So, let me offer my "Economics 101" response to Oster's claim that unpriced
vehicle parking not really an external cost because the costs are
ultimately borne by users as a group. This claim would be appropriate if we
are only concerned with horizontal equity at a group level ("your group is
getting more or less of a fair share compared with my group"), but if we
are interested in individual level equity ("you are getting more or less of
a fair share than others"), then we should be concerned that some
people  own fewer cars and drive less than others, and so overpay their
fair share of parking costs. Since lower income households tend to own
fewer cars than higher income households, this is also vertically
inequitable (unfair to disadvantaged people).

There is another important issue. Economic efficiency requires that prices
(what an individual consumer pays for a particular unit of consumption)
equal marginal cost (the incremental cost of that consumption). Regardless
of whether or not unpriced parking is unfair, it is clearly inefficient,
leading to economically excessive automobile ownership and use, which
exacerbates various other problems, including traffic congestion, accidents
and sprawl. When motorists pay directly rather than indirectly for parking
automobile travel typically declines by 15-25%, which means that a
significant portion of the transportation problems we face could be
addressed simply by pricing parking more efficiently.

If the practice of "bundling" parking with other commercial transactions
were really fair and efficient there would be no reason to have generous
minimum parking requirements in zoning codes, or for local governments to
use local taxes to subsidize on- and off-street parking. Unpriced parking
is certainly convenient to motorists, and once it becomes a
well-established user benefit it is difficult for an individual business to
withhold it (for example, to start charging employees or customers for
parking), but most economists would agree that it violates the principles
of an efficient market.

I welcome legitimate questions or information about my analysis that Mr.
Oster wants to share. But please refrain from insulting me and my work on
Internet lists, and please bother to read and try to understand my
materials before criticizing them.

Best New Years wishes to all,
-Todd Litman

Sincerely,