[sustran] "Best Practices": Source listings for information and comment

Eric Britton fekbritton at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 02:31:24 JST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

In support of our work on the Kyoto World Cities Challenge Initiative
– see http://newmobility.org for the latest on that -- we have
prepared the following list of "Best Practices" web sites covering
initiatives in the area of sustainable mobility and city
transportation improvements more generally.

While I am sure that it is still quite incomplete, I do  hope that
this will be of use for you, and should you have additions or
corrections, this would be most appreciated.

Why is this important? Because when it comes times for city teams to
consider if indeed they are going to be able to make the kind of very
ambitious advances the Kyoto Cities Challenge is asking for, they are
going to need all the help they can get.  You can see how we are
handling this on the site.

When the listing has been completed it will be posted here for all to
consult and use. As always.

Kind thanks

List of "Best Practices" Web Sites and Programs
(Draft for information and comment)

ACCESS - Eurocities for a New Mobility Culture
a local authority network aiming to promote a new mobility culture
throughout Europe, in order to combat congestion, improve air quality
http://www.access-eurocities.org/ fekbritton

Best Practices & Local Leadership Programme
United Nations Human Settlements Programme(UN-HABITAT)
http://www.bestpractices.org/

Best practice for sustainable urban infrastructures
Europe, COST program
http://www.cf.ac.uk/archi/research/cost8/

Bremen Initiative Best Practice Resources
http://www.bremen-initiative.de/links/best_practices.html

Case studies on sustainable development
2004 World Health Organization
http://www.who.dk/eprise/main/WHO/Progs/HCP/Documentation/20010917_2

ELTIS case study database
European Local Transport Information Service
http://www.eltis.org/en/indexcse.htm

EPOMM - European Platform for Mobility Management
examples of successful Mobility Management, collected from all over
Europe and beyond
http://www.epommweb.org/epomm_examples_all.phtml?sprache=en

EURONET/ICLEI Consortium
Old but still a reference to consider- 1996
http://www3.iclei.org/egpis/citylist.htm

European Database on Good Practice in Urban Management and Sustainability
designed to help local authorities to work towards sustainability by
disseminating good practice and policy, facilitating the exchange of
experience, and raising awareness about how cities and towns can be
managed in more sustainable ways
http://europa.eu.int/comm/urban/

Gateway to International Best Practices and Innovations
EPA National Center for Environmental Innovation
http://www.epa.gov/innovation/international/transportation.htm

ICLEI Project Summaries - Transport
Also see Planning, Tools and Land Use sections
http://www.iclei.org/LEICOMM/LEICASES.HTM#transport

Model Cities: Urban Best Practices (Volume 1)
Urban Redevelopment Authority, Singapore and The Institute of Policy
Studies, 263 pages, ISBN 981-04-2446-9
http://www.ips.org.sg/publications/pub_mc99i.htm

Model Cities: Urban Best Practices (Volume 2)
Urban Redevelopment Authority, Singapore and The Institute of Policy
Studies, 258 pages, ISBN 981-04-2447-7
http://www.ips.org.sg/publications/pub_mc99ii.htm

SMILE - Sustainable Urban Transport Policies and Initiatives
"170 successful and replicable European practices for sustainable mobility"
http://www.smile-europe.org/frame22.html

SURBAN - database on sustainable urban development in Europe
Europe, fairllarge
http://www.eaue.de/winuwd/list.htm

Stockholm Partnerships for Sustainable Cities
http://www.partnerships.stockholm.se/

UITP Mobility in Cities Database
http://www.uitp.com/Project/index29.htm

USCM Best Practices Database
U.S. Conference of Mayors
http://www.usmayors.org/uscm/best_practices/

On-line TDM Encyclopedia
Victoria Transport Policy Institute
http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/index.php

WHO Healthy City Network
A source of valuable expertise, legitimacy and continuous learning
http://www.who.dk/healthy-cities/CitiesAndNetworks/20010919_1