[sustran] Re: mobility as a right

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Sat Feb 26 03:09:44 JST 2005

Dear Sustran Colleagues,

Related to this issue, I've recently updated my paper "Evaluating
Transportation Equity" (http://www.vtpi.org/equity.pdf). It is intended to
provide an overview of transportation equity concepts and practical
guidance on how to incorporate equity objectives into transportation planning.

It uses a somewhat different approach to addressing the issue of whether
mobility and accessibility is a "right". It defines certain types of
transport activity to be "basic access", that is, transport that reflects
society's priorities. This typically includes access for medical care and
other essential services, transport to school and work, public service and
freight transport, and HOVs. Basic access is often given priority over
other transport activities (which is why emergency vehicles with sirens
have priority over other traffic, and some lanes and parking space are
reserved for HOV and delivery vehicles), and deserves more public support,
including subsidies, than more discretionary and luxury travel.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback on this paper. Once I'm satisfied
with it I plan to submit a shorter version to the Institute of
Transportation Engineers Journal.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

Sincerely,