[sustran] Kyoto World Cities Challenge - Follow-up

EcoPlan, Paris eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Thu Feb 17 18:56:36 JST 2005

Dear Sustran and GATNET friends,

I have several notes and calls from some of you since sending out our
broadside announcing this new collaborative project yesterday. And
apparently I made the mistake of crowding in so much detail that the central
message at this point got lost in the woods. Let me see if I can rectify
this quickly now.

As you may recall, full information on the program and work plan is at
http://newmobilitypartners.org <http://newmobilitypartners.org/> . So let me
leave all the background at this point at that.

Here are the handful of points concerning which we would be most interested
to hear from you individually and collectively.

1.	Associate your group, program with the Kyoto cities Initiative: Let
the world know that you think these issues require high visibility and
attention. Add you name and link to our listing here. Also let us know if
you are ready to work with us directly in any specific region or city in
order to turn this from an abstract idea into a positive reality.

2.	Comment on the draft materials & program:   Intensive group
discussions are going to be a big help in firming up this program, and in
setting the stage for the specific pioneering city projects that now need to
follow.

3.	Identify target cities, allies:  You may already have some ideas
about next steps, target cities for us to work with, projects, allies -- and
we very much hope that you will share these with the groups, since any
specific initiatives that you might take will serve to encourage others to
get actively involved on their side.

4.	Pass on the message: Please pass on this letter and related
materials to your colleagues, contacts and discussion groups working in
these areas. And let us know about others whom we might usefully contact
from here. We are going to need to get the news out to many thousands of our
colleagues and connections world wide if this is to gain the necessary
momentum and support.

5.	Get the media involved: And let the print and electronic media know
as well about what we are trying to do and where to come for more. High
international visibility is part of the toolkit we need to put in place to
make this work. (Click here for
<http://ecoplan.org/wtpp/challenge/media-release.pdf>  latest Media
Release).  And perhaps you might write an editorial to get the news out.
(And should you wish I would be pleased to pitch in and do this with you.)

I hope this is focused enough this time, but of course here we are as ever
not only willing but also most enthusiastic about finding ways in which we
can put our ideas and energies to work in the interest of sustainable
development and social justice.  And this program gives us a very concert
way to start. And start now! I very much hope you agree.

With all good wishes,

Eric Britton

 <http://ericbritton.org>

 <http://www.ericbrittononline.com> Technology, Economy, Society