[sustran] [SPAM SOSPECHOSO] Re: [gatnet] Re: FW: [siyanda] Invitation to share yourBeijing +10 views and resources on Siyanda

Carlos F. Pardo cpardo at cable.net.co
Thu Feb 17 11:43:51 JST 2005

First of all, I have little idea of the context in which you are discussing
this. Nonetheless, I agree with the idea that you should be talking about
accessibilty, and I've always thought that mobility in itself has been
always thought of as a need for human beings. I have to explain myself:

Human beings need to move, that is right basically because we have legs and
arms, and if we don't move we will get a heart attack. But, once we have
means of transport that may facilitate mobility, people start thinking that
mobility is a need to a greater extent than it was before. Cities have
increasing mobility, but also because of the ever-increasing availability of
means of transportation. This is a vicious circle: more means to move = more
mobility = more means to support that mobility, and so on.

Thus, the idea of mobility as a human right is very troubling because of its
lack of a clear definition in people's minds, but also because it has taken
a right on its own. We need to get to places and things, so we need
mobility. Maybe it's not so the other way around.

I think I just went around your argument and made little contributions.
Anyway, I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Carlos F. Pardo

Project Coordinator

GTZ Sustainable Urban Transport Project (SUTP)

Room 0942, Transport Division, UN-ESCAP

ESCAP UN Building

Rajadamnern Nok Rd.

Bangkok 10200, Thailand