[sustran] BRT in MM :comment from voi aguilar

voi aguilar aguilar713 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 16:34:09 JST 2005

dear all.

we fully support BRT in metro manila, i attended the seminar with distinguished mayor of Bogota at ADB last december.

we can help to implement this project, by providing CNG BRT's and aircon state of the art terminals, fully automated card payment system and insfrustracture.

All we need are serious and receptive LGU's, govt support policies, and the whole gang of this yahoo groups and we will achieve CLEAN AIR n less traffic.

fyi, we ordered already CNG buses for june operations!

regards to all,

voi aguilar
NGV ADbus Corp.

aables at adb.org wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

One of the aims of Partnership for Sustainable UrbanTransport in Asia (PSUTA) as a pilot project of Clean Air Initiative for Asian Cities (CAI-Asia) is to broaden our knowledge base with respect to sustainable transport and promote technologies where applicable. In this regard, CAI-Asia presented "Bus Rapid Transit: A Win-Win Solution for Mass Transport in Manila" in a focused group discussion (FGD) at the Land Transportation Office in Manila that was attended by representatives from government agencies, research institutes, and advocacy groups (Metropolitan Manila Development Authority [MMDA], Land Transportation Office [LTO], Land Transportation Franchising Regulatory Board [LTFRB], Environmental Management Bureau of Department of Environment and Natural Resources [DENR-EMB], University of the Philippines National Center for Transportation Studies [UP-NCTS] and Partnership for Clean Air [PCA]). The FGD concluded that BRT is a vi! able option in addressing transport problems in
 Manila without sacrificing air quality and costs.

To further lobby BRT and as follow up to the FGD, the group recommended that a similar presentation be given before the Metro Manila Council (MMC) meeting that is scheduled next week, 17 Feb 2005 10:30h at the MMDA office. The MMC meeting gathers city mayors and representatives from the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC)  to tackle urban planning and development. To prepare for this, CAI-Asia is gathering information to come up with a review on bus rapid transit (BRT) experience in Asia.

We would greatly appreciate if you could give us information on BRT developments in Asia, successful or otherwise, or give us contact information of those who do, preferably by 15 Feb 2004 (Tuesday). We are interested in hearing which cities are implementing BRT schemes or which cities are planning to do so.  It would be good to know how comprehensive the schemes are, whether there is documentation available and who are the contact persons.

As video clips (preferably in English) would make a stronger impression to the audience, kindly courier them to us or direct us to webpages where these are available.

We look forward to your favorable response. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Cornie Huizenga
Head of Secretariat
Clean Air Initiative for Asian Cities (CAI-Asia)
Asian Development Bank
Phone         ++ 632 632 5047
Fax         ++ 632 636 2198
chuizenga at adb.org