[sustran] State of The Commons Newsletter - The Commons, a Sustran ally

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Aug 19 16:22:00 JST 2005

Subject: State of The Commons Newsletter, Volume 2, No. 1. Summer 2005.
(Note: I am trying to make sure that this latest Newsletter on our work
reaches all of you in this important group. It may work out however that if
you are also participating in another program of The Commons, you get it
more than once. If so apologies and kind thanks for indulging us on this.)

Friday, August 19, 2005. Paris, France

Dear Sustran Friends,

This won't happen very often I promise you -- but there has been enough
going on in and around here of late within The Commons that a quick
newsletter - attached -- seemed like the most efficient way of putting
before you the handful of things that you might wish to keep your eye on, as
far as your accessing, use and eventually your support of The Commons in all
of its many parts.  It just may be that you may have some ideas for us. And
who knows, perhaps us for you.

When we get this kind of mail shot over the transom it is not always clear
to us what the author has in mind: just to inform us of something, or
perhaps to engage us in some manner? In this case it's a bit of both.
Specifically, I would like to invite your views and counsel on our various
programs, better yet to welcome you as a participant or observer in any of
these that might interest you in particular. And if you have any advice or
leads as to whom we might approach or how we might find support for all or
some part of this (the Kyoto Cities <http://kyotocities.org/>  Challenge or
Children on <http://ecoplan.org/children/ch_index.htm>  the Move projects
come particularly to mind, as well as The Commons itself) it would be most
timely. Truth to tell, I have never been very good at this end of my job
here, so your guidance on this would be particularly appreciated.

I have tried to keep this a quick read, so you have a clickable 'contents'
in the newsletter which sets out what I believe to be the most important
points to which to draw your attention. For a complete update, just click
the top menu of the newsletter which will take you to the home page of The
Commons  <http://ecoplan.org/>

For my friends of long date spread out over this beleaguered planet, I have
added a section toward the end which provides a few personal notes and a
couple of recent pieces (one of which attached) which I hope will give you
some fun -- despite the fact that in the topics addressed I am dead serious.
Read on: you'll see. Also I would invite you to . . .

*        Click
<http://app.sightspeed.com/current/viewmedia.php?mid=uexx75lfw67vwguw7a6xunn
6jgzyzjm4&em=Vconf5 at ecoplan.org&locale=en_US&refid=1>  here for a short
personal welcome message demo-ing new video links.
(Oops. Not clear? Jerky? Try downloading and then playing from your hard
disk.)

Feedback? We live for it. All you have to do is click here
<mailto:postmaster at ecoplan.org>  and we'll get your message. And yes, we
answer our mail. Alternatively should you wish to talk over any of this in
person (or via a free videoconference), just click the Connect
<http://www.xmobility.org/%22>  link on the top menu. You may be surprised
at how easy and efficient this can be. (We use it in our work every day and
have for years.)

There you have it. Things are in full gear around here and now you are fully
in the know. From your end I hope you will stay in touch -- and when you
have a minute please do let us know about your latest developments and
plans. Time keeps speeding by and it is important to keep up with each
other. Sustainability will not wait. Nor should social justice.

Cordially,

Eric Britton

PS. You may want to check if you have my/our current coordinates -- and if
there have been any changes in yours please do let me have them.  (One good
way of doing this by the way is to click my Plaxo
<https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=25770200327&v0=786992&k0=77226146&v1=786993&
k1=849686836>  link here; you'll find your way from there.)

The Commons: Open Society Sustainability Initiative - http://ecoplan.org
<http://ecoplan.org/>

Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara                             75006 Paris,
France

Tel:  Europe: +331 4326 1323               North America +1 310 601-8468

Mobile: +336 73.21 58.68     F: +331 53.01 28.96      Skype: ericbritton

E: eric.britton at ecoplan.org                   Backup: fekbritton at gmail.com