[sustran] Re: Anti-car propaganda that is blindly accepted as truth

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Sat Sep 25 04:25:45 JST 2004

For a comprehensive summary of research on the property value impacts of
rail transit see "FINANCING TRANSIT SYSTEMS THROUGH VALUE CAPTURE: AN
ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY" (http://www.vtpi.org/smith.htm), 2004. It shows
that in many situations, residents value living near rail transit stations.

Also, it is important to understand that rail transit is only one of many
ways that people reduce their automobile travel. Most vehicle travel
reductions consist of shifts to walking, closer locations, consolidated
vehicle trips, telework and good old bus travel. Rail transit can play an
important role, but is by no means essential for reducing car use.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

At 09:01 AM 9/24/2004 +0900, mpotter wrote:
>Really?  What train?  What road?  Those are broad categories.
>
>Property values are sometimes a good indicator of what's going on.  In
>Japan, residential property 5 minutes walk  from train stations is
>noticeably  higher in value than that 25 or 30 minutes walk away, where as
>housing along expressways is cheaper.  Though my research is less than
>comprehensive,  I find the same to be true in Chicago.
>
>Mark Potter
>Fukuoka, Japan
>
>On Sep 24, 2004, at 3:25 AM, Daryl Oster wrote:

Sincerely,
Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"