[sustran] Help Toronto help you: Sept. 2004 New Mobility Summit

ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr
Thu Sep 9 22:58:03 JST 2004

Thursday, September 09, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

Dear Friends,

As an old friend of sustainable transport and social justice, I would
like to ask you to do something today that I truly think will benefit
both the thorny world push to better and safer transport in cities - and
at the end of the day,  I am quite sure, for your city and yourselves.

We have as some of you know recently launched an ambitious Open Society
Transportation Initiative with a group of public interest originations
in the city of Toronto, which is building on their fourth successive
Car/Free Day project and taking it much further and for far more than a
single day.

For background, let me direct you now to the website for the Toronto
2004 New Mobility Summit which you will find at
<http://ecoplan.org/toronto> http://ecoplan.org/toronto, which while not
quite complete already is a pretty good source of information and
insight for pioneering international effort.  In this context we would
like ask you specifically following.

You will see on the menu an item marked Guestbook.  This open public
dialogue has been prepared to invite and share information, views and
support from people who care about doing better in our cities, It is
open to local residents, to anyone across Canada and to you, our friends
and colleagues world wide who share these concerns.

It will take you less than ten minutes to have a look and then to pop in
share your views, and indeed we think that the exercise, the questions
asked may be of a sort that might be helpful to you in organizing your
own thoughts and actions on the subject.

Finally, I am confident that Toronto's lead in this is going to show the
way for other cities and groups, as a time when new ideas and new energy
are badly needed.

Thanks for giving this your serious thought and hopefully a bit of your
time.  Indeed, we all thank you.

With all good wishes,

Eric Britton

The New Mobility Agenda at http://newmobility.org

The Commons: Open Society Sustainability Initiative

Tel: +331 4326 1323         Mobile: +336 8096 7879

24 hour Fax/Voicemail hotline: +33 (1) 53 01 28 96

IP Videoconference: 81.65.50.63

Email: postmaster @ ecoplan.org