[sustran] Re: Pedestrian Overbridge

Craig Townsend townsend at alcor.concordia.ca
Fri Oct 29 22:26:53 JST 2004

A planner who led in the improvement of transport in Taipei (including the
creation of bus lanes) in the 1990s told me a few years ago that a turning
point occurred when the Taipei administration resolved to begin demolishing
the pedestrian overpasses (which forced pedestrians to suffer an unpleasant
and arduous climb) and creating at-grade pedestrian crossings that would
make vehicles stop for pedestrians. He felt similarly that Bangkok's
overpasses were a problem rather than a solution. I myself feel less
negative about the growing network of elevated pedestrian walkways being
built to connect Bangkok's elevated BTS train stations to buildings: these
would appear to be performing successfully in some ways similar to those
cited by Mark. I'm now based in Montreal which has what we claim to be the
world's largest underground network of pedestrian walkways. As in some
other North American cities with underground or elevated walkways, they
provide benefits in protection against the climate, but also create a semi
or pseudo public realm which excludes some people and spreads out
pedestrian traffic more thinly. There are many issues at stake!

Craig Townsend