[sustran] Re: Info on Free Public Transport or Transit

Kirk Bendall kennaughkb at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 23 15:22:47 JST 2004

Hello,
if I remember correctly, some years ago, Adelaide
cancelled its anytime free travel for school students
policy as graffiti/vandalism soared and sometimes
other travellers felt uncomfortable as not as quiet as
usual in their One person operated vehicles.

I distinguish the proposal from Perth's CDB Free
Travel Zone and CityCats, which are definitely
transferable to Auckland. Adelaide also has free CBD
circulators. These are Clearly focused on making it
easier for all to get around the CBD, connect to
stations, Uni(varsity), malls, Hospital and ferries
etc. The Unsworth report in NSW has recommended CBD
Shuttle buses for Newcastle, Sydeny and Wollongong
(~4.5million pop). see
www.transport.nsw.gov.au/busreview/

Comparing city-wide free buses With proposals to
electrify/extend to airport Auckland's small suburban
railsystem, and as most oil is imported, there are
other alternatives IMHO which could produce better
transport outcomes for the money.

If perceived as a "free ride" such a propsal, may not
be politically sustainable when the next
administration comes on board.

Free travel would tend to encourage urban sprawl,
growing kms driven and demand for freeways in future
years.

Kirk Bendall
Wollongong (erst-while rider of Auckland's Yellow
Bus's and ex-Perth rail cars)

http://au.movies.yahoo.com