[sustran] Re: On Noise Pollution

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Fri Nov 5 01:38:10 JST 2004

You will find some useful references in the "Noise" chapter of the
"Transportation Cost and Benefit Analysis Guidebook"
(http://www.vtpi.org/tca). Please let me know if you find any additional
information to add.

Traffic noise does tend to increase with:

* Traffic speed (particularly tire and wind noise)
* Traffic acceleration
* Large, heavily loaded trucks and buses (since their engines must work
extra hard)
* Motorcycles
* Vehicles with malfunctioning engines and mufflers
* Horn honking

Traffic noise impacts are also affected by the distance and amount of noise
barriers between traffic and people impacted.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

At 10:56 PM 11/3/2004 -0800, Vittal Kumar A. wrote:
>Dear Sustran Members,
>
>Can some experts help our friend on vehicular noise pollution?
>
>regards,
>Vittal
>
>Note: forwarded message attached.

>Hello Friends,
>
>I would like to have your valuable inputs on my studies related to noise
>pollution specifically because of vehicles.
>
>While reading through most of the books and research papers (international
>Publications mainly) I was under impression that the vehicular noise
>pollution inceases with the increase in vehicle speed.
>
>Now I have few points which are debatable:
>
>1. If the case is as mentioned as above why do we design rosds for high
>vehicular speed.
>
>2. Is it true incase of India where people use Horn frequently while
>moving in slow spped.
>
>If anybody can help me with any reading material  or their views which
>will clear my thoughts i will be really obliged.

Sincerely,
Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"