[sustran] Re: hgtrans: Re: Pay-As-You-Drive Pricing For Insurance Affordability - Media Notice

Mason Gaffney m.gaffney at pe.net
Thu May 20 20:07:58 JST 2004

Good thinking, Eric.  I haven't been following the earlier dialogue, but
your statement makes sense.

Social charges for autos are best imposed as variable costs, not fixed
costs.  Besides insurance, there are the fixed costs of license fees, and
sales taxes on buying autos and trucks, and smog checks, and no doubt some
others.

Parking is a mixed bag.  Owners should pay for domiciling their cars, and
generally do.  But when they hit the road for work or shopping or church,
they generally get free parking thrown in.  This constitutes a subsidy for
auto use.  Donald Shoup at UCLA has written a lot on this matter.

Meantime, gasoline taxes have moved sharply downwards over the last century.
In 1920, they contributed a much higher fraction of state revenues than
today, even with so few cars being driven.  Every time gas prices rise, the
fixed tax per gallon falls as a % of the price.

Mason Gaffney