[sustran] Re: Rail or bus

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 6 13:54:23 JST 2004

Actually, there is a very good answer: Do honest and unbiased evaluation
up-front. This virtually never happens.

I see no case for separating capital and operating accounts. Money is
money. Paying off capital creates a bias towards capital-intensive
projects and gets in the way of many low-cost non capital advances. Quite
apart from the fact that this leads to a tendency to expensive projects,
there is a special need i nthe developing world to consider
labour-intensive projects, given the essential need for employment.

                                                 --Jonathan

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Jain Alok wrote:

> I fully agree that skytrain alone cannot solve urban transport problems of
> Bangkok. It will take much more than that.
>
> Though in principle, I support the idea of somebody providing the capital
> for such projects and essentially writing it off (against possibly the
> greater economic benefits to the community which cannot be directly realised
> to the operating company) but in third world countries availability of the
> capital is a big issue to deal with. Either a new type of lending model be
> developed (may be instead of loading capital/depreciation and interest
> upfront on the project, it should be delayed at a time where economic
> benefits are actually expected to have accrued to certain threshold) or
> capital intensive projects can never go ahead.
>
> Difficult questions with no easy answers!!!
>
> Alok

-----

Jonathan E. D. Richmond                               02 524-5510 (office)
Visiting Fellow                               Intl.: 662 524-5510
Transportation Engineering program
School of Civil Engineering, Room N260B               02 524-8257 (home)
Asian Institute of Technology                 Intl.: 662 524-8257
PO Box 4
Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120                        02 524-5509 (fax)
Thailand                                      Intl:  662 524-5509

e-mail: richmond at ait.ac.th               Secretary:  Ms. Nisarat Hansuksa
        richmond at alum.mit.edu		              02 524-6051
					      Intl:  662 524-6051
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/