[sustran] Re: Rail or bus

Jain Alok ajain at kcrc.com
Thu May 6 13:37:46 JST 2004

I fully agree that skytrain alone cannot solve urban transport problems of
Bangkok. It will take much more than that.

Though in principle, I support the idea of somebody providing the capital
for such projects and essentially writing it off (against possibly the
greater economic benefits to the community which cannot be directly realised
to the operating company) but in third world countries availability of the
capital is a big issue to deal with. Either a new type of lending model be
developed (may be instead of loading capital/depreciation and interest
upfront on the project, it should be delayed at a time where economic
benefits are actually expected to have accrued to certain threshold) or
capital intensive projects can never go ahead.

Difficult questions with no easy answers!!!

Alok