[sustran] Response to Brendan

Eric Bruun ericbruun at earthlink.net
Sat May 1 01:59:42 JST 2004

Brendan

Thanks for the interesting information. It doesn't sound like the case for
LRT in Dublin is exceptionally strong.

Yes, LRT can be coupled and uncoupled quickly, just like heavy rail. Whether
it needs to be done and whether agencies will actually bother to do it are
another issue. Sometimes agencies even have convenient places to store cars
and don't need the capacity, but they just can't be bothered.....

About pedestrians. Looking at German cities might help clarify my point.
There are pedestrian malls where an LRV consist will come through every 5 to
15 minutes, and this is considered acceptable without any barriers to
pedestrians.  If equal throughput is supplied by many single buses, they
might be every 30 seconds, and it would no longer be considered as safe or
attractive as a pedestrian street.

Eric