[sustran] Re: fare deregulation and bus

Barter, Paul paulbarter at nus.edu.sg
Tue Mar 23 21:07:26 JST 2004

Dear Shamsul
I am glad you managed to get this question through to sustran-discuss.
Did anyone get back to you with help? Sorry for my slow response.

Premium Bus services seem to be one of the various attempts to escape
from the nasty politics of bus fares, finance and service viability...
There have been reports of success with these (at least for a time) in
various places - eg Manila's 'Love Buses', Bangkok's airconditioned
services, and private minibuses; Jakarta's PATAS services...  Not sure
about the long term survival of all these however. Maybe someone else
out there can chip in with recent news?

Have you seen the following?

Gwilliam, K.M. (April 2000) Public Transport in the Developing World -
Quo Vadis?, Discussion Paper TWU-39, Transport Division, The World Bank.
(can be downloaded somewhere in World Bank web site - you will need to
search)
- this has a useful overview of the issue I seem to remember.

For an interesting perspective on the vicious cycles in bus fare
politics and a theoretical interpretation (in the wider context of
infrastructure regulation) see chapter 4 on Sri Lanka's buses in the new
book by Jose Gomez-Ibanez, "Regulating Infrastructure: Monopoly,
Contracts, and Discretion'.

Also see http://www.sutp.org and various documents there, including the
Sustainable Transport: a Sourcebook for Policy-makers in Developing
Cities. I am not sure but there may be something relevant in there.

See also http://www.worldbank.org/transport/urbtrans/pubtrans.htm which
might have some more World Bank stuff of relevance.

I hope this helps a little.

Paul

Dr Paul A. Barter
Public Policy Programme,
National University of Singapore
5 Arts Link, Singapore 117570
Tel: +65-6874 3324;  Fax: +65-6778 1020
Email:  paulbarter at nus.edu.sg

Are you interested in urban transport in developing countries? Then
consider joining the SUSTRAN-DISCUSS list, an email discussion and
announcements list devoted to people-centred, equitable and sustainable
transport with a focus on developing countries.Visit
http://www.geocities.com/sustrannet/ for more information.